No undertray

This is a discussion on No undertray within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just finished changing the oil and plugs on my 05 WRX wagon. I ran into one problem, I think the ...

No undertray

Just finished changing the oil and plugs on my 05 WRX wagon. I ran into one problem, I think the dealer put the under tray on with air tools because I broke off three bolt heads. I was just using an standard ratchet, not a breaker bar. I don't have the time to drill out the bolts and re-tap right now so the tray is in my house now. My question is, how important is the undertray? I live in a city and drive 50-100 miles a week...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The undertray for the wrx IS important for airflow in and out from engine bay. You can drive it without, but with it on the air flows like designed through the rad and TMIC...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

under tray

lol the 2002s didnt even come with an under tray....so its not that critical more protection then any thing else.

My '02 has one ... And it IS needed for proper airflow. Can you drive without one,? Sure, but the air pressure under the hood changes (gets higher) thus reducing airflow through the TMIC and even the rad.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

pretty sure that the early cars did not come with an undertray neither of my 02s had one...

Quote Originally Posted by ckb1985 View Post
    pretty sure that the early cars did not come with an undertray neither of my 02s had one...
    Did you buy them new? Perhaps a previous owner unknowingly removed them.

Considering where the oil filter sits, I definitely would not be comfortable driving without it.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2