Subaru WRX Forum banner

I suck at turbo swaps

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  wrx wagone 
#1 ·
I am literally in the middle of a turbo swap, but cannot get the oil return line on the new turbo. I have tried countless times, but have little access for my big 8"+ hands and the hose refuses to sit nice for the return line. :mad: The job was going quite well, but I had to get out of the 95 degree heat (great day I picked for this!) after the numerous failed attempts.

I am working with this writeup: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-performance/134744-diy-vf34-turbo-wrx-pictures.html Anyone know of others that might help?

I have a neighbor who is a professional auto technician - he has offered to bail me out in a hour or so. I really wanted to do this all myself ... :(

#2 ·
does the hardline keep pushing the rubber line over/down? I used a liberal amount of WD40 on the hardline and inside the rubber line, and it kinda 'plopped' right in, after countless times of it just folding/pushing the rubber hose over..

#3 ·
Yes - it either folds it together or pushes it out of the way. Even if I could get everything to line up perfectly there is no way I can work the spring clip. Lube it, eh? I tried many times - had to walk away ...

My helper says he has tools just for this problem. :confused: What could he be referring to? Skilled normal sized hands maybe ...

I have no garage, so I stopped after the sun had made its way where I am working. In another hour or so it will be shaded again.

#10 ·
Finished up a little while ago by putting the heat shield back on. No leaks and all seems OK while driving it. Will be following the break in procedure outlined here so the boost will remain at minimum levels until later this week.

A Deadbolt Monster TD04 with all of the spool fast options - dirty enough for you? A Protune in the not too distant future will make it positively filthy.

#6 ·
I GOT THE HOSE ON MYSELF!! Neighbor has been a no-show.

I cannot get the spring clamp on now ...

From underneath I have a little wiggle room, but cannot get the clamp to ride up over the hump. Just how crucial is the upper clamp? I have the lower one in place.

#8 · (Edited)
Update:

Job is nearly done. My neighbor finally showed with his tools much like in the photos. He had the clamp on correctly in less than 2 minutes. It really helps to be a true professional.

I got tired of working on the project - the IC needs to be installed and then the break in for the turbo. Tomorrow ...

Oh I hope no leaks ... :sadwave:

The return line does not appear to be under any real pressure otherwise it would have some more substantial clamps on it.

Yes, me engine bay needs some cleaning now ...

#13 ·
Nope, just want quicker spool and a bit more bottom end. This should do that nicely.

Nice.

You'll have to let us know how you like SM. :thumbup:
Don't care what I run - not sure JR does either (already asked him). No nationals for me anyway. Not a single trophy last year or this so far. Post Protune might be different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.