Dents and scratches

This is a discussion on Dents and scratches within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ahh the beauty of parking the car close to the sidewalk where tons of kids traverse everyday to the local ...

Dents and scratches

Ahh the beauty of parking the car close to the sidewalk where tons of kids traverse everyday to the local pool on foot or riding their bikes and you end up with some very creative and randomly placed scratches and dents.

That's unfortunately part of owning a car in an urban area and not much can be done to prevent it except maybe camping in the car every night with a bat or maybe strapping an abused and hungry Rottweiler to the car.

But something can be done to fix it. I could attempt to do it myself but the outcome would possibly be worse then the original damage. Therefore I want to ask the question to the untamed collective knowledge of an online community:

How can I fix those???
    (ps. i buffed the crap out of those, so 'it'll buff right out does not apply').

I appreciate any input!

1. This one is on the left rear door:

2. I swear I did not cause this one:

3. This one is a classic, quite a deep dent right on the bent, possibly caused by a bike brake handle hitting it:

4. Is it already rusting away?:

5. No comments:
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I detail shop may be able to wet sand some of that away. They did a decent job when when a had a dent removed, it was scratched pretty bad and he wet sanded it and made it about 80% less visable. You may also try a few other things that have a more abrasive texture but is clear coat safe. But definetly a good detail shop before a body shop consult. If you even want to take it THAT far, dents/scratches will always occur. I just drink a few beers everytime i see a new one.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

I think you could get a lot out yourself with claybar, polish, and elbow grease (or a buffer).

Some of those look like paint marks rather than scratches (like on the bumper)

Try claybar, then use a good polish (not wax, but polish, something that is abrasive), followed by a good wax.

1) If the big scratch on the bumper is paint, then it should come off.

2) The smaller scratches on the bumper should blend out with the polish.

3) Use touchup paint on the spot on the edge of the door. Claybar/Polish should remove the mark line.

4) The paint mark on the door ding will come out, but the marks will still be there. You could use touchup paint to cover the chips. If the metal is dinged then you'll need further help.

5) The chip on the trunk can be touched up with paint.

6) Some of the long scratch on the trunk may come out with claybar/polish and lot of elbow grease to get the paint to blend over most of the scratch.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)