The Art Of Frustration
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on The Art Of Frustration within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, i have been up and down this site in search of some form of direction in my recent ...

The Art Of Frustration

Hello all,
    i have been up and down this site in search of some form of direction in my recent adventure.

I have just bought a used 02 wrx, still cant believe i have one, it is bone stock. The day i bought it i got my first CEL shot the codes 302 and 304. Though i had thought it idled a bit rough when i test drove it, but it was responsive on the throttle, i failed to question it. i was not afraid to get my hands dirty if i had to. I replaced both plugs and swapped out the coils for good measure. To my pleasure i went a whole week and a half with no problems. the idle still seemed rough when cold but other than that was all sunshine and daisies.

Then on my way to work about 5 min after start up push in the clutch at a light and she dies. hit the key and shes running again. next light, same thing. after that was highway and did not do it again all the way to work. after work fired it up and smelled gas raw gas through the vents (Air was on), shut her down and popped the hood, could not smell it in the engine compartment though, nor could i smell it under the car. fired her back up to see if i could smell it when she was running. instead she sputtered and choked and ran REAL rough. and gave me a solid CEL. then smoothed out for the most part. i shot the codes again and got P0301, P0302, P0304, P0113.

i also checked the MAF and made sure that was clean. checked for any major vacuum leaks as well. Any help or Direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The P0113 is for the intake air temp sensor.It is intergrated into the MAF sensor.It is the amber bulb you see.Maybe it is going bad.Try cleaning it again with CRC MAF cleaner.Also the missfire codes could be due to a dirty fuel filter.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

cool sounds like a start. i did pull all of the plugs today and replaced them all. i was confused that one side had the spacer/washer (the side i originally changed and replaced them as i had taken them out) and the other did not which i am guessing are the original plugs (autolight dbl plat). so this brings up a few flags, one why was only 2 plugs changed and two, is the washer supposed to be there? regardless the car still ran rough, though no CEL yet. i did clean the MAF again as you had suggested as well. i plan on changing the Fuel Filter tomorrow. ill post my results then.

im not sure how rough the idle is supposed to be. she idles at around 600 rpm when warm, almost like she has a cam.

i have a 94 impreza without the turbo that has 240k on her and she runs a lot smoother than this. i understand the whole DOC and such but is the rough idle common with the WRX?

I Support ClubWRX
    Rough idle is not common.It might also be time for a new front O2 sensor.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

ok, so i changed out the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF sensor. i also tried a new gas station (figured what the hell). put 300 miles on her and all seems good. still a bit of a shake to her when shes cold but other than that, im pretty satisfied. i will change that o2 sensor as you suggested.

Thanks a bunch Donkey, btw one sweet ride bro!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.