exhaust/manifold question...

This is a discussion on exhaust/manifold question... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, I just had a question regarding what this is exactly and what I'd need to get to replace it, ...

exhaust/manifold question...

Hey, I just had a question regarding what this is exactly and what I'd need to get to replace it, the guy at the shop said it's about a $400 and that it's a up pipe to turbo, but i'm not seeing a decent match when i search for up pipes... are there 2 diff. up pipes? or am I just an idiot? lol anyhoo sorry, bout the pic not being of best quality, I can try to get a better 1 when it's not raining.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8152.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	79385

p.s. it's a stock 05 wrx 2.0L
    Last edited by fyrspray; 07-16-2008 at 06:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    I can't really tell what that picture is.

Are you looking for an up pipe? If so, there are many, many choices. Just check out the websites of our ClubWRX.net vendors, they all sell 'em.

I Support ClubWRX
    What you're showing is mostly a heat shield and there's a turbo underneath it, with two pipes, water connections, and oil connections. The two pipes are an up pipe that comes from the front/bottom of the engine bay and connects the exhaust manifolds to the turbo, and a down pipe that goes from the turbo toward the firewall and down under the car, connecting the turbo to the rest of the exhaust.

What exactly is the problem you're trying to fix?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What you're showing is mostly a heat shield and there's a turbo underneath it, with two pipes, water connections, and oil connections. The two pipes are an up pipe that comes from the front/bottom of the engine bay and connects the exhaust manifolds to the turbo, and a down pipe that goes from the turbo toward the firewall and down under the car, connecting the turbo to the rest of the exhaust.

What exactly is the problem you're trying to fix?
    I think that is a picture of the exhaust manifold heat shield/head/bottom of up pipe?

DUB
    And, it is hard to tell, but I think the problem is that you can see that it has cracked at the flange?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    And, it is hard to tell, but I think the problem is that you can see that it has cracked at the flange?
    I can't tell either. Maybe?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yes, it's cracked at the flange, again, sorry for the bad pic, I was just trying to get a pic and get outa the rain lol. judging from the picture you supplied, I'd say it's located on the drivers side exhaust manifold? but then again it was more on the passengers side when I was laying on the ground trying to get a pic of it...

another edit... if you want I could try to get a vid of it real quick? just need to find a flashlight somewhere around here lol

lol edit number 3 with closer examination of the pic, i think it is the passenger side exhaust manifold...
    Last edited by fyrspray; 07-16-2008 at 07:14 PM.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrspray View Post
    yes, it's cracked at the flange, again, sorry for the bad pic, I was just trying to get a pic and get outa the rain lol. judging from the picture you supplied, I'd say it's located on the drivers side exhaust manifold? but then again it was more on the passengers side when I was laying on the ground trying to get a pic of it...

another edit... if you want I could try to get a vid of it real quick? just need to find a flashlight somewhere around here lol
    Based on that tough to see pic, and your first post, I would say that your up pipe has cracked at the bottom flange, where it meets the passenger side exhaust manifold.

If that is in fact what it is do not give that shop $400 to replace it. That is an R-I-P O-F-F.

Paying someone to put another stock up pipe back in would be stupid. Since you have to replace it anyway, get an upgraded after market pipe. They can be had for about $250. And that is for an expensive one, they just go down from there. I don't know for sure, but I doubt a shop charges $200 in labor for an up pipe install. My point is, you can probably get out of this with a better up pipe for cheaper if you do it right.

Based on that tough to see pic, and your first post, I would say that your up pipe has cracked at the bottom flange, where it meets the passenger side exhaust manifold.

If that is in fact what it is do not give that shop $400 to replace it. That is an R-I-P O-F-F.

Paying someone to put another stock up pipe back in would be stupid. Since you have to replace it anyway, get an upgraded after market pipe. They can be had for about $250. And that is for an expensive one, they just go down from there. I don't know for sure, but I doubt a shop charges $200 in labor for an up pipe install. My point is, you can probably get out of this with a better up pipe for cheaper if you do it right.
    I was following my exhaust from the back to that part and was thinking, all it is, is a few bolts really, doesn't look like it'd be hard to do it myself at all, do you think that's possible? or best to just have someone else do it? I've only helped a couple friends replace clutches before, and last time we did it, we took the exhaust off to pull the tranny apart (or somethin like that lol I'm a n00b.) and really the whole change out didn't seem all that confusing. I'm a geek, and tear comp.s apart and put em back together all the time, really cars don't seem much diff. from comp.s at all... however if I'm replacing a whole up pipe, is there more to the picture that I'm not seeing?

p.s. also, this is a little off topic and I'm sure it's somewhere else on the forum but I keep running across this Tial 44mm External Wastegate on my search on up pipes... what exactly is that? if the explanation is too long feel free to ignore this question lol
    Last edited by fyrspray; 07-16-2008 at 08:06 PM.

DUB
    Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE!

It's a little more involved that 'just a couple bolts'. Read that and see if you can handle it.

alright up pipe isnt to bad to install but u honestly dont know what ur lookin at or dont kno neone who knows how to do it or has done it b4 i wouldnt try it if i was you it rly is only a couple of nuts to untighten but the upipe is kinda jammed in there so its a tight squeeze to get it out but go on jscspeed.com look at up pipes on there great website fast delivery to i get all my parts from them i say to get the turboxs up pipe i think its 190 shipped maybe less also get ur self a new gasket off there to u need to the uppipe to turbo gasket n uppipe to manifold gasket

. . . also a tial 44mm external wasgate is for when u weld the internal wastegate on ur stock up upgraded turbo shut the wasgate gets set up on ur uppipe with a dump tube its kinda like a bov but as soon as u hit what psi the spring inside is set up it opens up sounds sick

DUB
    NjBuGeyEdWRX, I would like to introduce you to someone:

NjBuGeyEdWRX, I would like to introduce you to someone:

lmao yea he got a lil excited there. but yea find a nice up-pipe and you shou,d be fine. i would suggest it since the stock one has a cat in it (which if it were to get damaged it !@#$%^& up ur turbo royally)
    keeping it as is til a 2011 is in the driveway