Timing Belt vendors?

This is a discussion on Timing Belt vendors? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, this is my first post and I hope no one minds, but I have yet to own any ...

Timing Belt vendors?

Hey guys, this is my first post and I hope no one minds, but I have yet to own any Subaru. I am sure I will someday though (as I drift into a dream of a boxer diesel WRX...) Anyway, I am an ASE certified tech, and as such am enlisted by many of my dearest friends to "help" perform any mechanical work they may need. Well my friend just purchased a 2002 WRX and is past due for his 105K timing belt change. I am pretty active in the forums for my car (tdiclub.com) and know that the absolute best way to get parts for "enthusiasts" cars is through the vendors on the sites. Regardless, I'd still rather support the little guys that really care about their cars, rather than just the high school kid at Auto Zone. That being said, I quickly looked through the vendors section here and was suddenly overwhelmed with way too many names of aftermarket tuning companies. So I figured the easiest thing to do was just ask the people that know. Who are some of your guys favorite/best vendors? When changing out the TB, I know on some cars replacing the idler pulleys and/or torque-to-yield bolts is mandatory, is that the case with the 2.0? If so, is there a vendor that sells an entire timing belt kit? Or a kit with TB and water pump? Sorry for being the embodiment of a forum noob with all the questions in a first post, but figured you guys would be willing or even excited to share information concerning these beautiful cars and that your vendors would appreciate the support.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBrewer View Post
    Hey guys, this is my first post and I hope no one minds, but I have yet to own any Subaru. I am sure I will someday though (as I drift into a dream of a boxer diesel WRX...) Anyway, I am an ASE certified tech, and as such am enlisted by many of my dearest friends to "help" perform any mechanical work they may need. Well my friend just purchased a 2002 WRX and is past due for his 105K timing belt change. I am pretty active in the forums for my car (tdiclub.com) and know that the absolute best way to get parts for "enthusiasts" cars is through the vendors on the sites. Regardless, I'd still rather support the little guys that really care about their cars, rather than just the high school kid at Auto Zone. That being said, I quickly looked through the vendors section here and was suddenly overwhelmed with way too many names of aftermarket tuning companies. So I figured the easiest thing to do was just ask the people that know. Who are some of your guys favorite/best vendors? When changing out the TB, I know on some cars replacing the idler pulleys and/or torque-to-yield bolts is mandatory, is that the case with the 2.0? If so, is there a vendor that sells an entire timing belt kit? Or a kit with TB and water pump? Sorry for being the embodiment of a forum noob with all the questions in a first post, but figured you guys would be willing or even excited to share information concerning these beautiful cars and that your vendors would appreciate the support.
    Any "high performance" timing belt like the Greddy or STI one is over kill for most stock or slightly larger than stock turboed WRX's.One thing to definatly think about is to replace the stock thermostat with a fail safe type (Gimmik Motorsports/Crucial Racing) while you have everything torn apart.The stock on fails in the closed position.Depending on the mods maybe even use a 160 temp.Stock I think is 170 (lower than most cars).I have used this kit a couple of times on friends cars with good sucess:
    eBay Motors: 02-05 SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO WRX 2.0 TIMING BELT KIT EJ20 (item 200238256695 end time Jul-17-08 17:52:38 PDT)

eBay Motors: 02-05 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX TIMING BELT WATER PUMP EJ20T (item 180263272668 end time Jul-16-08 09:33:42 PDT)
    Last edited by Donkey; 07-12-2008 at 05:32 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Huge gracias to you Donkey. I forwarded the links to my buddy and he bought the set with the water pump. It makes my life easier knowing all the parts are going to be there and they're the right parts. Again, thanks so much, you pretty much rock...