Turbo rattle?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo rattle? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; To start this off i have an 04 WRX and it is totally stock. When the car is in neutral ...

Turbo rattle?

To start this off i have an 04 WRX and it is totally stock. When the car is in neutral and i rev it i started to hear a rattle sound when the rpms dropped back down to about 2200 rpm. The noise is not there during acceleration but only during deceleration when the rpms drop. I popped the hood and had someone rev it for me. It sounds like the noise is coming from the turbo. I know the turbo heat shield comes loose sometimes so i checked it out and it seemed tight. What are some other things that i should be looking for? Is my turbo possibly on its way out and should i bring the car to the dealership and have them take care of it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had a rattle from there. The heatsheild was bent and touching parts of the turbo. Id try to widen it out a bit then bolt it back on TIGHT. Go from there.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Ill take it off and have a look at it. The only thing i was thinking though is that the turbo isn't even spooling at those rpms is it? Or could other vibrations through out the engine carry over to the turbo?

yeah thats exactly right, dosent matter if its spooling. The turbo housing is damn solid.

Just take off your turbos heat shield then give her some revs. if thats not it then try the manifold heat shield under the car.

i had this problem mine made a damn loud rattle around 3500

Alright ill take it off as soon as the car cools down. It's really freaking me out though, it honestly sounds like theres a rock tumbling around inside the turbo. I know its not but its definitely a scary sound. I just can't imagine a heat shield being that loud but ill update as soon as i can take it off. If anyone else has anything else to say chime in as well, all help is greatly appreciated.

Haven't had time too look at it yet but i'm still worried that the turbo is bad. I was driving hard today and i noticed when i shifted from 1st to 2nd that the car just bucked and the turbo did not seem like it wanted to kick in or something. I shifted out of first to second at about 5500 rpms. If it feels like it shakes and the turbo doesn't want to kick in or stay going is it possibly my turbo going bad or more possibly bad shifting on my part?

dont forget the up pipe it might of broke down.

Yeah i realized that there is a lot it could be. I'm thinking my best bet is to just bring it to the dealership and have them check it out. Is that probably the best idea if im not too sure of what im doing? The only thing i don't like about the dealership is that i don' t always trust them, but maybe im just biased? How common is the up pipe breaking apart and would i need to replace the turbo if that is the case?

On higher then stock boost i would see it but being stock it could take some time. Suby are knone for there rattles

The car has 74k miles on it. I think im just going to cough up the money and have the dealership look at it just to be on the safe side. Theres a lot of things it could be and i honestly feel like i could look for hours and never find it. All i know is that it sounds like marbles in my turbo so i should just get it checked.

Got back from the dealership with some wonderful news. My turbo needs to be replaced. They said the the bearing in the turbo was shot, if so does the entire turbo need to be replaced? The dealership quoted me $1,360 for the new turbo and install. What should i do? Would it be cheaper to buy a used bigger turbo and put it in? Any help would be appreciated with this one guys, it's bad timing on my part. I'm moving out for college in a month, this is the last thing i needed to hear.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, now that you know what it is don't let the dealer touch it. It is an easy install and there are many many better options at this point. Check out the deadbolt turbos for example, you can get a stock on that they coat and port etc. etc. or I think even a new 16g for less than that. Also, take-off STi turbos are a popular option and are inexpensive. You will need injectors and a fuel pump if you go to these bigger turbos though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I was looking at getting a vf39 off a STI since it is better than the td04 and i can get a used one for a lot less than a new tdo4. Now here is where i need your help guys. Can someone list EVERYTHING that is needed for me to put in a VF39 into my WRX and would it be cheaper than $1,360? I'm sure this has been beaten to death but i need to be 100% on this. Also i live in a small town in MA and I have no idea of any shops that can put a turbo in a car. Most shops around here just do oil changes and the basics, so if anyone could help me find a place to do an install that would be awesome.

*Also on the paper i got from the dealer, its said "turbo and screens need to be replaced" what are the screens they are talking about?

I Support ClubWRX
    They are probably referring to the TSB, the oil screens may have been clogged and caused your turbo to die of oil starvation. If so you are just going to toast another one unless you take care of it. Here is a link to the info.

Edit: Oops, you have a 2.0l, so that should not apply.
    Last edited by mycologist; 07-14-2008 at 03:33 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

So what are the screens they are talking about? Also i was looking into this deadbolt 16g, what do you guys think about these? Deadbolt TD05H 16G Turbo Upgrade - Turbochargers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast