Help! timing belt install issue. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help! timing belt install issue. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 04STI pilot Got everything done today with the help of a friend. I needed an extra set ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04STI pilot View Post
    Got everything done today with the help of a friend. I needed an extra set of hands...she runs better than before. Thanks fellas
    awesome! glad we could assist!
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i did this job in 20 min once i used an allen wrench to turn the camshafts to the marks and boom it was on. oh yeah then i found out the piston was cracked. lol, new motor baby!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    How hard is it to change the timing belt on a WRX?
    I wouldn't do it alone with the motor in the car the first time unless I had to. In this weather and with my back, I'd pay someone to do it instead so I don't have to hunch over the nose for a few hours and try to squeeze my hands between stuff. I'd rather do a clutch, frankly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I noticed there was a spot for an allen wrench on the exhaust camshaft. Unfortunately, I did not have the required size. A cheaper solution than the special tool no doubt.
    I figure I saved 450$ in labor by doing the job myself even with buying 80$ special tool.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I wouldn't do it alone with the motor in the car the first time unless I had to. In this weather and with my back, I'd pay someone to do it instead so I don't have to hunch over the nose for a few hours and try to squeeze my hands between stuff. I'd rather do a clutch, frankly.
    Yeah, the more I think about it, I'll probably just pay to have it done. I'm sure I COULD do it myself, but I'm just not sure if I really WANT to do it myself. I've done everything else on the car myself, but none of that would ruin the car if I messed it up. I'm just not too keen on having the heads rebuilt if/when I bend a couple of valves.
    Has anyone gotten an estimate on changing the belt along with the idler pulley, tensioner, and water pump? Also, is there any advantage to getting the STI belt as opposed to the standard WRX belt?
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Did mine with the help of a friend, wasn't too bad. Took us about 2 hours with the obligitory celebration cigarettes after each major accomplishment and the 5 minutes to compress the pin on the tensioner
    VF34'd Corvette Killer
    Bugeye Mafia Member #188

I got a labor estimate of $560 from the dealer not including parts. I paid 250 for the upgraded STI belt, 125 for a new tensioner, and 130 for the waterpump.
    The only way you will bend a valve is if you turn the intake/exhaust sprockets the wrong way. When you order the upgraded "pink" timing belt it comes with an installation guide inc. a diagram on which way to turn the sprockets. The major problem I ran into was all in my head. I had to fight the valve spring pressure thinking I might be bending a valve. If there had been someone with enough experience to tell me what the deal was and not to worry, it would have saved me some valuable time. As far as the standard wrx belt vs the STI belt, I would imagine the STI belt is more rigid. I have not experienced ANY belt noise with the upgraded belt.

I'm sorry to add to your post but i have a question. While you are replacing the timing belt did you bother changing the cam gears to a bigger size or increased tension? I'm about to change my timing belt as well and i was curious if it was worth the money to replace the cam gears while I am in the engine area

u dont need to change the cam gears just make sure u check the tensioner for oil on the top bc if it dose have a little pool of oil ontop repace it $270 from subaru but its better than it going out and dropping a valve or bending one. and there is no need for more tension then tensioner on the subaru is a oil hydrolic tensioner desigend and ment to keep a constant tension on the belt whether idleing or at high rev.

as for 03crazytaxi next time use a bench clamp u can do it in 5 sec.

for psycobooe yes the Sti belt is a little stronger.
    (granted the Sti has more HP)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vttk_mig69 View Post
    for psycobooe yes the Sti belt is a little stronger.
    (granted the Sti has more HP)
    arent they the same part number?
    Rogan o_0

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subie814 View Post
    I'm sorry to add to your post but i have a question. While you are replacing the timing belt did you bother changing the cam gears to a bigger size or increased tension?
    Rogan o_0

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    Yeah, the more I think about it, I'll probably just pay to have it done. I'm sure I COULD do it myself, but I'm just not sure if I really WANT to do it myself. I've done everything else on the car myself, but none of that would ruin the car if I messed it up. I'm just not too keen on having the heads rebuilt if/when I bend a couple of valves.
    Has anyone gotten an estimate on changing the belt along with the idler pulley, tensioner, and water pump? Also, is there any advantage to getting the STI belt as opposed to the standard WRX belt?
    DON'T USE MY DEALER!!! I won't say their name, but it's a Subaru dealership in Dallas, TX

Quote Originally Posted by 04STI pilot View Post
    The tools I used were:
    Camshaft sprocket holder(available from SkywayTools.com Sir tool SU040)
    22mm socket(crankshaft)
    10mm socket(belt cover, rad fans etc...)
    12,14mm socket (timing belt pullies)

If I were you, I would also order the Camshaft sprocket holder from skyway(SIR tool SU030) I did not have this tool and now my hands are cut up. You can do without but even with a second set of hands it makes life hard.

I replaced the tensioner and water pump as well.

BTW, I have an STI, you may need a different crankshaft sprocket holder if you are doing the belt on a standard WRX.
    Does Subaru make the camshaft sprocket holders? Does anyone know the part numbers for them if they do? Thanks!
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    Does Subaru make the camshaft sprocket holders? Does anyone know the part numbers for them if they do? Thanks!

I tried to order the specialty tools from my local subie dealer and I had no luck. The answer I kept getting was "we get all our tools from the Snap On truck." A load of BS if you ask me.
    Call Skyway Tools, they make cam sprocket holders as well as a crankshaft pully holder. You can do it without the cam sprocket holder but I dont reccomend it (can be quite a pain in the ass if you are doing it by yourself). I held those suckers in place and it tore my hands up good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    I went with the upgraded STI belt. Its a little more but is more rigid. It made a big difference in responsiveness!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.