Steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds

This is a discussion on Steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Recently my car has started to feel pretty loose while driving on the highway. It still tracks straight, and in ...

Steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds

Recently my car has started to feel pretty loose while driving on the highway. It still tracks straight, and in turns it feels alright, but when I'm doing about 70 in a straight line on a smooth road, the steering wheel has a slight vibration to it, and it feels like it has a large null zone. Any ideas on what to check for?

Oh and also, when I turn the wheel slightly, like when I'm changing lanes, the shaking of the steering wheel gets worse, then gets better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What happens when you swap wheels front to back?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If I'm remembering correctly I think the same situation. I rotated my wheels about 1500 miles ago and it still had the loose feeling on the highway. Definitely not like when I first got the car and it felt completely solid even when I was going 80.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK check the basics first:

Lug nuts right?
    No debris on discs?
    Lift wheel, grasp north/south, check for vertical play?
    Lift car on jack stands (NOT THE JACK ALONE!) and check for juice coming out the halfshafts, worn bushings (steering rack too), worn joints?
    Dampers OK?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

At work now, but I will check for all of this when I get home, thanks!

may also want to get your tires balanced.

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 on getting the tires rebalanced.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by xtrememotion View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly I think the same situation. I rotated my wheels about 1500 miles ago and it still had the loose feeling on the highway. Definitely not like when I first got the car and it felt completely solid even when I was going 80.
    You left off the most important detail: Did it "shimmy" before rotating the tires, or was it just loose with no shimmy?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

old thread, but to close it up, got the tires rebalanced, and got an alignment and it cleared up the majority of the issue.

one more possibility

wheel bearing?