What Do You Think About Engine Oil Additives?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What Do You Think About Engine Oil Additives? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys, I was wondering what other people thought about using engine oil addtives as you reach the higher miles. ...

What Do You Think About Engine Oil Additives?

Hey Guys, I was wondering what other people thought about using engine oil addtives as you reach the higher miles. I only have 50k on my car and don't plan to use anything. I stick to royal purple or motul. Anyway, I have a 98 Suburban with 154k on it and I have used slick 50 at 100k and 125k, but I also like Lucas. So my question is what do you think additives for your Subaru and other cars as well? Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by ScoobyWRX21; 07-07-2008 at 05:37 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sometimes I think additives generally amount to "snake oil." Other times, I like them less.

No additives are necessary. Save your money for required maintenance instead.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Lucas FTW. I've used in my 92 loyale, 98 25RS, and now use in my nissan pickup. Makes it run a lot smoother.
    2006 WRX
    Opensource STG 2, Epic Engineering
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #032

http://s258.photobucket.com/home/joesubaru7/index
    DD: 2001 2.5RS
    Old: 1998 2.5RS [url]

I Support ClubWRX
    Everything you need is already in the oil - has been for a very long time.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

you cant say that lucus oil addictive isn't good for your turbo and motor. thats why they make that ****. this stuff is used by diesel turbo's to 4cylinder tubros.

i like lucas but stoped using it after doing some research
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by kb04dubx View Post
    you cant say that lucus oil addictive isn't good for your turbo and motor. thats why they make that ****. this stuff is used by diesel turbo's to 4cylinder tubros.
    If it was required for reliable operation of your vehicle, it would be recommended in the owner's manual. No technical data has ever been accumulated by an independent resource that indicates these products live up to their claims. Modern oil is so chock full of additives and modifiers that adding additional products is fool-hearty. The oil we use today is specifically engineered to do its job properly; so long as you choose the correct oil for your application and service it in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations, there is no need for additional additives.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kb04dubx View Post
    you cant say that lucus oil addictive isn't good for your turbo and motor.
    Why not?

thats why they make that ****. this stuff is used by diesel turbo's to 4cylinder tubros.
    The reason they make it is to sell it. Whether it works as advertised or not is irrelevant provided it sells.

If data exist to support the use of the additive, and if the data are sourced from independent users (not the maker) then I'd grant that the additive works as intended, but that still doesn't justify using it. There is no need for additives beyond what's already in the oil -- if there were such a need, the additive would be specified and if not used, we'd see failures. Neither is the case.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    If it was required for reliable operation of your vehicle, it would be recommended in the owner's manual. No technical data has ever been accumulated by an independent resource that indicates these products live up to their claims. Modern oil is so chock full of additives and modifiers that adding additional products is fool-hearty. The oil we use today is specifically engineered to do its job properly; so long as you choose the correct oil for your application and service it in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations, there is no need for additional additives.
    In the race for a rational answer, I've come in... second! Needless to say I agree with your post; if I'd known you were writing it at the time I'd have not posted mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    In the race for a rational answer, I've come in... second! Needless to say I agree with your post; if I'd known you were writing it at the time I'd have not posted mine.
    The more the merrier

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.