Engine Light O2 Error

This is a discussion on Engine Light O2 Error within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2004 WRX with about 67K on it. Back in the winter the engine light started coming on. ...

Engine Light O2 Error

I have a 2004 WRX with about 67K on it. Back in the winter the engine light started coming on. When the light comes on the engine loses power and I here some ticking coming from possibly the valves. Sounds like bad gas does. When it does this, I shut the car off and start it back up. The engine light remains on, but the car works fine. If I turn the car on and off about five times or just drive it awhile, turn it off and then start it back up the engine light disappears. I had he computer checked by my friend and it was throwing an O2 code. I brought it to Subaru and they didn't know what was wrong-some master techs they were. They still charged me $90. It really does seem like a sensor because of the randomness that it comes on. Seems to only do this when it is wet or humid out. One time it did this right when I drove over the underbody wash at the carwash. Usually it does it when I am shifting gears and sometimes while cruising on the Interstate. The car is all stock. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Need to have the actual DTC #......
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I have one idea but this is only my third post so I can't make links
    I have a solution though maybe. If you don't have something to read the code you should drop by Autozone and get it read to find out what it is because the two instances you're describing could be unrelated.

However, continued above...
    Last edited by Cinnabuns; 07-12-2008 at 01:40 PM.

The front injector is at an angle such that it can pick up water easily and this will cause CEL on or flashing sometimes. Mine happened in a car wash.

Unplugged this injector, packed with waterproof grease, and taped the outside to help seal it. Fixed mine.
    Last edited by Cinnabuns; 07-12-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Code

I brought it to autozone, but before I read these replies. I did not get the code number but the error read "Manufacturer Fuel Air Metering."

I Support ClubWRX
    That would sound like the MAF but you really need the actual DTC.Try cleaning the MAF and make sure the O-ring is in tact.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S