Question about OEM Timing Belt Brand !!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question about OEM Timing Belt Brand !!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Greetings everybody. My first post on this particular board, and just have a quick question. I have recently bought my ...

Question about OEM Timing Belt Brand !!!

Greetings everybody. My first post on this particular board, and just have a quick question. I have recently bought my 2002 WRX Wagon. Bought her with 88k on the clock and is in AMAZING condition. Engine bay and all components are sounds and have been maintained. My question is what is the brand of the OEM timing belt ? My car is currently running a Mitsubishi 5PK877 Timing belt so i believe it has already been replaced. Does anybody know if that is stock or has been already been maintained ? Thanks everybody.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The timing belt isn't due until 105K miles. Sorry I don't know what markings the OEM belt has.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I would like to help you... but when I replaced my timing belt there were no markings remaining @ 7X,XXX miles. I think most peoples will be like this since the belt also rides on the smooth side in the timing circuit. If it helps any I bought a OEM replacement belt from subaru and it said Subaru on it w the part numbers. Can't tell you for sure thats what it comes with though.
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

Quote Originally Posted by TrackReady View Post
    I would like to help you... but when I replaced my timing belt there were no markings remaining @ 7X,XXX miles. I think most peoples will be like this since the belt also rides on the smooth side in the timing circuit. If it helps any I bought a OEM replacement belt from subaru and it said Subaru on it w the part numbers. Can't tell you for sure thats what it comes with though.
    doesnt oem mean that that was the part the car came with.!!
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Well, yes, in a way. For instance I work for Ford, and although all of our timing belts are "OEM" some are actually different. Sometimes a company uses multiple vendors or makes a item in multiple locations. Also manufactures switch vendors alot as well. Not to mention on top of all of this that "OEM" parts that come on cars might only show up on "brand new" cars. For instance OEM ford spark plug wires are not the same over the counter as the ones that come on a "new vehicle." Basically I'm saying my timing belt didn't say that, but I wouldn't "hang my hat" on the belt already being replaced from just my response.
    Last edited by TrackReady; 07-06-2008 at 07:49 PM.
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

?? bump

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.