Thermostat
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Thermostat within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My stock radiator has been cracking at the plastic top so im gonna toss it and get a full aluminum ...

Thermostat

My stock radiator has been cracking at the plastic top so im gonna toss it and get a full aluminum one. I figure i should change the thermostat as well and i was wondering what you guys suggest i go with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

'02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

$45 for a thermostat. What is the difference between this thermostat and any other thermostat that cost around $10?

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dragon View Post
    $45 for a thermostat. What is the difference between this thermostat and any other thermostat that cost around $10?
    ten degrees, and the warranty that it will not fail!!!
    Last edited by justin.jordan2; 07-05-2008 at 11:19 AM.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

I Support ClubWRX
    Under normal conditions, the Coolsafe Thermostat will operate like any other thermostat. But, unlike standard thermostats, our Coolsafe thermostat automatically locks into an open position should an overheating or failure condition occur, protecting the engine from serious damage. Any normal thermostat will lock in the closed position; a sure way to serious engine failure! Although a thermostat cannot completely prevent cooling system failure, it can greatly improve operating reliability in emergency situations. It is a wonderful safety feature for your Subaru, and the added performance is a welcome plus.

Reading comprehension
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well basically any thermostat will stay open if the car is overheating, they are designed to open up when the car is hotter than whatever the temp rating of the thermostat is. A thermostat will usually fail when it doesn't open and it will be stuck shut. Locking into an open position when overheating doesn't prevent overheating at all unless the thermostat is the cause of overheating. As for the warranty, most thermostats you get from an auto parts store offer a warranty. If it fails you get a new one. And you can get them 10 degrees cooler if you want.

Well basically any thermostat will stay open if the car is overheating, they are designed to open up when the car is hotter than whatever the temp rating of the thermostat is. A thermostat will usually fail when it doesn't open and it will be stuck shut. Locking into an open position when overheating doesn't prevent overheating at all unless the thermostat is the cause of overheating. As for the warranty, most thermostats you get from an auto parts store offer a warranty. If it fails you get a new one. And you can get them 10 degrees cooler if you want.
    Eh.? It locks in the open position when failing/broken... so you don't get overheathing... Most thermostats stay closed when they fail so...you get overheating.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Actually they say it will lock open when an overheating condition occurs, which would mean the car is all ready over heating. It does not say they will not stick closed which is what happens when a thermostat fails. When a car if first started the thermostat is closed until it reaches the temperature of the thermostat. If a thermostat sticks, then it will not open. If this thermostat sticks it will not open either. It cannot lock open if it never opens.

Coolsafe 160* Thermostat

Subaru's turbocharged vehicles place a lot of stress on the cars' coolant sytems. Not only does the coolant have to do the normal job of keeping the engine itself at proper operating temperature, but Subaru has given it the additional duties of cooling the turbocharger and the engine oil! Cooler coolant plays a huge role in the safety and performance of your Subaru on multiple levels.

The Crucial Racing Systems Coolsafe 160 degree thermostat forces your cooling system to react quickly to manage and reduce coolant temperature overshoot under high loads - which is critical to protecting your engine from heat-induced detonation. Before-and-after data logging on a very hot California afternoon showed max coolant temps under full throttle load of 195* F pre-thermostat, and 174* F after the install of the Coolsafe thermostat. Ignition timing is affected by coolant temps, as is the car's oil temperature. The simple addition of a Crucial thermostat will increase power output, especially on a hot day where you will notice less of a performance loss due to the outdoor temperature.

A high performance radiator will lower the coolant temperature at the exit of the radiator as it is a larger heat sink and can dissipate more heat. The stock thermostat, which opens at 172 degrees, is located at the entry of the engine block immediately after the coolant exits the radiator. When installing a more efficient radiator before the stock thermostat, the stock thermostat is actually slower to open than normal because the coolant passing through the bleed hole is colder than normal. If you suddenly go to high boost, the thermostat will not react until the coolant flow and temperatures get high enough at the radiator discharge to open the thermostat allowing for significant coolant flow. As Subaru engine coolant temperature sensors are located on the top of the engine block, coolant temperature is measured as it leaves the engine, not at the thermostat, so coolant exiting the engine under high load could be 40 - 60 degrees warmer than the 172 degree stock thermostat temperature and heat-induced detonation can occur. When your engine management system senses detonation, ignition timing is retarded and your engine loses power.

However, the benefit of installing a Crucial Racing Systems Coolsafe Thermostat is definitely not limited to cars with high performance radiators! Subarus with stock radiators will see the same benefit of lower coolant temperatures, lower oil temperatures (high oil temps are a common problem among cars that see occasional track use), less coolant temp overrun, increased detonation protection, and more power.

SAFETY: Under normal conditions, the Coolsafe Thermostat will operate like any other thermostat. But, unlike standard thermostats, our Coolsafe thermostat automatically locks into an open position should an overheating or failure condition occur, protecting the engine from serious damage. Any normal thermostat will lock in the closed position; a sure way to serious engine failure! Although a thermostat cannot completely prevent cooling system failure, it can greatly improve operating reliability in emergency situations. It is a wonderful safety feature for your Subaru, and the added performance is a welcome plus.
    !!!!!

i have one on my 05 wrx and i saw its average water temp drop 8 degrees. This thermostat works backwards in a way thats why it has a fail safe
    Last edited by justin.jordan2; 07-06-2008 at 08:10 AM.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

If you used another 160 degree thermostat it would do the same thing. Other than sticking open it is no different. The fact is that you can buy a $10 thermostat with a warranty that is 10 degrees cooler from any auto parts store. It will cool the car the same way this one will. But if you wanna spend and extra $40 on it, go for it.

If you used another 160 degree thermostat it would do the same thing. Other than sticking open it is no different. The fact is that you can buy a $10 thermostat with a warranty that is 10 degrees cooler from any auto parts store. It will cool the car the same way this one will. But if you wanna spend and extra $40 on it, go for it.
    that was the whole point of the install, besides the temp drop. i had one go out, on my old f150 i just started see my water temp rise fast as crap. so i imediatly shut off the engine, grabed a rachet took out the thermo and drove home. thats y i purchased the product.

And as I said if the thermostat is stuck shut, which is what happens when they go bad, it will not be stuck open since it never opened, it would stay closed since it is stuck. When you start your car the thermostat is closed until it reaches 160 degrees. If the thermostat is stuck in that closed position it will not open when it reaches 160 degrees. It will not suddenly get stuck the whole way open either. All this thermostat will do is stay locked open if the car is already overheating from some other problem.
    Last edited by Red_Dragon; 07-05-2008 at 03:56 PM.

And as I said if the thermostat is stuck shut, which is what happens when they go bad, it will not be stuck open since it never opened, it would stay closed since it is stuck. When you start your car the thermostat is closed until it reaches 160 degrees. If the thermostat is stuck in that closed position it will not open when it reaches 160 degrees. It will not suddenly get stuck the whole way open either. All this thermostat will do is stay locked open if the car is already overheating from some other problem.

You need to read the words, "overheating OR FAILURE condition occur"...Meaning the thermostat will stay open OR will open if it fails.

And you have no idea how a thermostat works. Explain to me how when a thermostat is stuck shut that is is going to suddenly open. It won't. If the spring breaks or car overheats do to another problem, sure it will lock itself open. But 99% of the time when a thermostat fails, it will never open. It will be stuck shut when the car is cold and when the car warms up, the thermostat stays closed. This thread is really a waste of time and starting to bore me.

And you have no idea how a thermostat works. Explain to me how when a thermostat is stuck shut that is is going to suddenly open. It won't. If the spring breaks or car overheats do to another problem, sure it will lock itself open. But 99% of the time when a thermostat fails, it will never open. It will be stuck shut when the car is cold and when the car warms up, the thermostat stays closed. This thread is really a waste of time and starting to bore me.
    It's hilarious how much you totally don't understand what you're talking about.

Here's what you seem to understand:
    -When normal thermostat fails, it fails in the closed position
    -This causes overheating
    -Overheating is bad

What you fail to understand:
    -When crucial's thermostat fails, it fails in the Open position. It is designed VERY DIFFERENTLY from a normal thermostat so that it cannot break/fail/lock into a closed position

The Crucial design does not use a spring to push it open, it uses a spring to push it close...it has a failure point designed into it so that if it were to break or become damaged in any way, the spring would not be able to hold it closed so it would snap open. It's basically designed backwards from a normal $10 NAPA thermostat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.