Inconsistent Performance in '02 WRX - Automatic

This is a discussion on Inconsistent Performance in '02 WRX - Automatic within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 WRX with automatic transmission. Ever since I got it, it seems like I have had inconsistent ...

Inconsistent Performance in '02 WRX - Automatic

I have an 02 WRX with automatic transmission. Ever since I got it, it seems like I have had inconsistent performance. Some days it is peppy and the engine sounds great, but other days it is kinda sluggish and lacks pickup.
    Getting on the highway each morning, there can be a noticeable difference from day to day in how my car accelerates from a dead stop.
    Does this sound normal? I have been blaming it on the automatic transmission. It seems like I get better acceleration from a dead stop when I press the accelerator down 3/4ths of the way instead of all the way to the floor.
    Would I benefit from manually shifting the automatic transmission by forcing it down into 1st/2nd before getting on the highway?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fonze View Post
    I have an 02 WRX with automatic transmission. Ever since I got it, it seems like I have had inconsistent performance. Some days it is peppy and the engine sounds great, but other days it is kinda sluggish and lacks pickup.
    Getting on the highway each morning, there can be a noticeable difference from day to day in how my car accelerates from a dead stop.
    Does this sound normal? I have been blaming it on the automatic transmission. It seems like I get better acceleration from a dead stop when I press the accelerator down 3/4ths of the way instead of all the way to the floor.
    Would I benefit from manually shifting the automatic transmission by forcing it down into 1st/2nd before getting on the highway?

MORE than likely ur tune if you have one. or it could be that its getting warmer out side. maybe you need a tune up. spark plugs, oil, air filter, maybe you got some bad fuel.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    MORE than likely ur tune if you have one. or it could be that its getting warmer out side. maybe you need a tune up. spark plugs, oil, air filter, maybe you got some bad fuel.
    I get the car serviced regularly from my Subaru dealer. I got the SPT intake/exhaust installed within a year, so I figure the air filter should be ok.

I'm really not car savvy at all, so I can't really do any of this myself without going to a dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by fonze View Post
    I get the car serviced regularly from my Subaru dealer. I got the SPT intake/exhaust installed within a year, so I figure the air filter should be ok.

I'm really not car savvy at all, so I can't really do any of this myself without going to a dealership.
    i would put the stock intake back on see if that helps... if not if i were you i would get the cobb accessport. see if that helps ur performance. i would also check ur tranny or have it checked.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

I wouldn't bother taking that intake off. the SPT and Cobb Intake are generally accepted as "Safe" and take good readings. Now thats not to say you don't have a MAF problem. If you feel confident you could try cleaning it. You can do this by buying "CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner" from your local auto parts store, then spray it in a plastic bag and gentrly shake your MAF in it for a few minutes. It is possible that you have some oil contamination, since cotton filters like you have use oil coating as part of the filtering process. Other than that it could be many things. Personally I have never driven or riden in a slushbox WRX. I don't, however, see any reason why drastically different performance should be considered normal.
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2