Power Steering Failure....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Power Steering Failure.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ...and I think i know the cause. So kids, don't be fools, change your belts. Lest ye want to loose ...

Power Steering Failure....

...and I think i know the cause.

So kids, don't be fools, change your belts. Lest ye want to loose power steering at 12 am.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    How many miles on that belt?
    I'm the second owner and i never received any paperwork on belt changes from the dealership unfortunately....so quite possibly 97K.
    ~Stan

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    I'm the second owner and i never received any paperwork on belt changes from the dealership unfortunately....so quite possibly 97K.
    Huh, good reference point for those of us with uncertain service history.

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    Huh, good reference point for those of us with uncertain service history.
    Yeah, I was going to do all the belts in the next couple weeks anyway but she obviously wanted it done a little sooner.
    ~Stan

Lol, guess your scooby really just wanted to let you know it wasen't happy with that belt. 97k fairly stout for a belt, guess you got your "moneys worth"
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

Quote Originally Posted by TrackReady View Post
    Lol, guess your scooby really just wanted to let you know it wasen't happy with that belt. 97k fairly stout for a belt, guess you got your "moneys worth"
    Not very happy at all. But at 97K, I did not have a problem dishin out the cash for a new belt.
    ~Stan

Lost my belt last night at 4AM. Never realized how nice power steering really is! 69k HARD miles. Belt broke at the rev limiter coming onto the highway.

How difficult is it to change the belt? I'm looking at the shop manual and it doesn't look too bad.

How much would a shop charge to change it as well?

Thanks!
    - 2002 silver WRX (stock)
    - 1999 Honda CBR F4 (Leo Vinci High-mount exhaust, carbon fiber blinkers and other lil crap...)

DUB
    Doesn't the Power Steering Pump and the Alternator share the same belt? So did you lose all electronics too, or how does that work out?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pondo View Post
    How difficult is it to change the belt?
    Trivial, a satisfying DIY. Do both external belts and get replacements from the dealer while you're at it -- the cost is about the same as imitation belts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Doesn't the Power Steering Pump and the Alternator share the same belt? So did you lose all electronics too, or how does that work out?
    I'm curious too.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

DUB
    This video nicely illustrates how to change the PS/Alt belt, though not it's main purpose.

HSPN TV - HD Videos on Demand - Powered by HSPN Networks, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Power steering and Alternator are on the same belt. You can drive on battery power for a while. I made it about 25mins doing 35mph down to my condo with lights on and everything. I turned off the A/C, radio etc to save power. Once the battery dies though, you are SOL.

I'm going to guess if I lost one belt maybe i should replace both accessory belts AND the timing belt?

DUB: That video really makes the belt change trivial!

How hard is the timing belt?
    - 2002 silver WRX (stock)
    - 1999 Honda CBR F4 (Leo Vinci High-mount exhaust, carbon fiber blinkers and other lil crap...)

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by pondo View Post
    How hard is the timing belt?
    There are tutorials, search around. It's a little more involved.

Yes, you are running on battery power alone when that belt goes. I did the same thing that pondo did, turned off all the electronic goodies and hoped that my battery would carry me home.

Loosing that belt will make you appreciate power steering. Some corners on my way home were not easily taken, even at 10 mph...

EDIT: No, you don't loose any electronics. You get the nice CEL, ABS, and battery light as soon as you hear the belt snap (Thats right, it also powers the ABS). You're simply relying on battery power to run everything.
    Last edited by Hold_Fast; 08-04-2008 at 10:50 AM.
    ~Stan

Just thought I'd share my expereince with a broken belt while on my way home from work. Just got home and opened the hood to see what looked like cable or wire wrapped around the pulley and realized that a belt had shredded.

On my commute home today I got on it hard while exiting a corner and felt the steering go heavy. Some dash lights came on: Rear Diff temp, battery light and parking brake light. I was like WTF?!? Whay would all those come on simultaneously? I had a steering pump go out on my STi before (but not dash light came on then) so I figured the same thing happened again. I was thinking of pulling over but figured I'd just do whatever I could to limp home. 20 minutes later ABS light also comes on and the radio starts to cut out intermitently plus the C.Diff setting changed from auto to manual (I have an 04 STi) I thought the computer was going bad. I get home and stop with car idling. The ventilation fan was also slow even on max speed setting. I shut off the engine (30 minutes since first symptoms) pop the hood and saw the belt cords. Guess I have a project for the weekend. I have 52k on my STi.

I will take a look at the movie that someone mentionned earlier to see what I am getting into. Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge.
    Last edited by sti_rick; 08-08-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added ABS light event

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast