p0031

This is a discussion on p0031 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 02 wrx is throwing the p0031 code and I looked into it and everyone seemed to say that it ...

p0031

My 02 wrx is throwing the p0031 code and I looked into it and everyone seemed to say that it was my front o2 sensor that was bad. I got the generic bosch one and wired it in and the check engine light came back on after id erased the codes. Does the generic sensor not work? or is the code not that sensor? any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What year/model is your car and what mods do you have?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by slammed95gt View Post
    My 02 wrx is throwing the p0031 code and I looked into it and everyone seemed to say that it was my front o2 sensor that was bad. I got the generic bosch one and wired it in and the check engine light came back on after id erased the codes. Does the generic sensor not work? or is the code not that sensor? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Unless you plan on soldering the splices(and good),I would stay away from the "generic" sensors.The ECU sensors are generally 5v and sometimes 1v with O2 sensors.Very susceptible to voltage drop/resistance.What was the Bosch part # you used?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Unless you plan on soldering the splices(and good),I would stay away from the "generic" sensors.The ECU sensors are generally 5v and sometimes 1v with O2 sensors.Very susceptible to voltage drop/resistance.What was the Bosch part # you used?
    15730 I think and its just a stock bugeye nothing special. I think that they might have given me the downstream sensor instead of the upstream sensor. What would be a good solution for a cheaper fix than the subaru part other than the bosch?

Here at our local stealership i paid 140 out the door for a wideband front O2 sensor. Took them a week to get it in, but o well.

You pretty much have to have that front O2 sensor in there for your car to run right. And it has to be a wideband sensor. You could technically run your car without it.....but your ECU would be running WAY WAY WAY rich on the stock calibration and it wont learn at all.

Cheapest i've seen is around $110 on the internet somewhere.

I tried using the Bosch universal sensor and my CEL always came right back on and my a/f ratios were locked at 14.7. I replaced it with the DENSO, cleared the code and everything was back to normal. DO NOT use the Bosch sensor!
    Last edited by scaryc; 07-20-2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typo

I have the same prob...

My o2 sensor is acting up for the first time on my 04 sti. Does anyone know how to manualy fix the problem, and were to find the parts needed to do so, or does anyone know of any reliable shops in the bucks county area...thnx alot

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PRIMAJIN View Post
    My o2 sensor is acting up for the first time on my 04 sti. Does anyone know how to manualy fix the problem, and were to find the parts needed to do so, or does anyone know of any reliable shops in the bucks county area...thnx alot
    All you need is a new front O2 sensor.............
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

yea donkey...

i know that, wat im asking is, is it possible to do the work myself, or am i gonna have to take it to a dealer and get raped on the price?

I Support ClubWRX
    i know that, wat im asking is, is it possible to do the work myself, or am i gonna have to take it to a dealer and get raped on the price?
    A monkey can change a front O2 sensor.Maybe try searching on how to change it....
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Denso or OEM. Use the correct O2 sensor wrench or else you'll get pissed. Reset ECU after changing it. should be a 1hr job on jackstands or 40 mins on a lift.

Thnx timdog

for the helpful info, were can i find an o2 sensor wrench? and were can i find the correct o2 sensor? thnx again for the help.

for the helpful info, were can i find an o2 sensor wrench? and were can i find the correct o2 sensor? thnx again for the help.
    Primajin, please post your findings - I too would like to know to to fix P0031 myself. Thanks.

DUB
    This may help, I dunno, I didn't really read the whole thing.

Oxygen Sensor removal (02 Sensor) - ScoobyMods

Very helpful

DUB thanx alot bra, this thread is very helpful for anyone having similar problems.