What Grade engine Oil to use?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What Grade engine Oil to use? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Guys i'm lost, what grade engine oil should i use in my Subie, J-spec with an Ej20K, i've heard 5w30 ...

Post What Grade engine Oil to use?

Guys i'm lost, what grade engine oil should i use in my Subie, J-spec with an Ej20K, i've heard 5w30 & 10w30? Can anyone help
    Last edited by Carl Wrx; 06-24-2008 at 08:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on your engine? If less than 75k, then stick with what the manual recommends (5w30?). If you have more than 75k miles, then I'd go one weight heavier.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+1, but either one is fine.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Ok, i just checked & my odo says im @ 92k miles..

I had a 94 subie legacy with the 2.2T. And once I hit about 75k I switch over to a heavier cause my father is mech. And that is what he told me to swtich over to.
    Perrin DP, Perrin Inlet, Ultimate Racing CAI, 3" custom CB.

Ok guys this is gonna sound real NOOB, but heavier weight is refering to the 10w 30 right? I'm new to all this so dont kill me

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Wrx View Post
    Ok guys this is gonna sound real NOOB, but heavier weight is refering to the 10w 30 right? I'm new to all this so dont kill me
    sorry to single you out but...

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    How many miles are on your engine? If less than 75k, then stick with what the manual recommends (5w30?). If you have more than 75k miles, then I'd go one weight heavier.
    so <75k use 5w30 if more than use heavier weight. you had two options 5w30 and a 10w30. 5w30 is for <75k then that means >75k = 10w30.

I dunno about oil but i'm guessing from this that 10w30 is the heavier one
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

10w30 should be fine

notice the 10 is followed by a (w) which means weight... so 10 would be the weight and 30 would be the body
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

We all cant be samart, some ppl catch on quicker than other's besides i wanna make sure i get the right thing for my car, so i'll keep askin dumb questions. Sorry to single you out

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    10w30 should be fine

notice the 10 is followed by a (w) which means weight... so 10 would be the weight and 30 would be the body
    Winter, W Stands for Winter... At least that's the way I learnt it. 5w will flow easy er than 10w when cold so the lower the number the better for winter cold start ups... The second number is for when the oil is hot, that's the viscosity it should stay at when up to operating temps, the higher the better in hot climates in general...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

i put 5w 20 in my car a few days ago. will it do anything to the engine sence its not 5w 30

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    Winter, W Stands for Winter... At least that's the way I learnt it. 5w will flow easy er than 10w when cold so the lower the number the better for winter cold start ups... The second number is for when the oil is hot, that's the viscosity it should stay at when up to operating temps, the higher the better in hot climates in general...
    thats one way to remember it i guess... same concept tho lower for the winter usually higher for the summer that being the 5 and also 10... so wait you only use winter oil

just remember lighter weight usually equals more power... i use 0w-20 in all of my cars all year round
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Guys i'm lost, what grade engine oil should i use in my Subie, J-spec with an Ej20K, i've heard 5w30 & 10w30? Can anyone help
    Carl, I looked at the weather history for your location and it says you have low temps of 73 and highs of 87 deg F throughout the year. If that is true, I doubt you will see any difference between 5W30 and 10W30, regardless of the number of miles on your car.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob E Roo View Post
    Carl, I looked at the weather history for your location and it says you have low temps of 73 and highs of 87 deg F throughout the year. If that is true, I doubt you will see any difference between 5W30 and 10W30, regardless of the number of miles on your car.

Mike
    Great point, I didn't notice the location! I'd go with a 10w40 then.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

We all cant be samart, some ppl catch on quicker than other's besides i wanna make sure i get the right thing for my car, so i'll keep askin dumb questions. Sorry to single you out
    understood
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.