grey or blue smoke out tail pipe
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on grey or blue smoke out tail pipe within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hows it going everyone, heres the situation. Lately the car has been releasing a little bit of bluish grey smoke ...

grey or blue smoke out tail pipe

Hows it going everyone, heres the situation.

Lately the car has been releasing a little bit of bluish grey smoke about 30 seconds after i turn on the car. Its not a lot of smoke at all its very minimal, just barely reaches about 3-5 inches from the tail pipe before it dissipates. It does this every time I turn the car on after sitting a few hours.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

Mods
    Cobb Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like somebody is burning a little oil. This is typical of boxer engines, especially at startup.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Consumption of the oil is not bad, but I have to make sure I keep an eye on it. Iím using royal purple 5w30 and I hear that it burns fast, just switched to it last oil change and Iím about due for another this week. Since the last oil change I had to put in about 3/4 of a quart.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

Mods
    Cobb Stage 2

If you're not losing a ton of oil, I wouldn't let it bother me. Having aftermarket exhaust will make the smoke more noticeable...

If you had a Supra, I would know exactly what was wrong with your car...with a WRX though, I would just keep an eye on the oil and make sure it does actually go away once you're warmed up.

i've lately noticed a similar thing on my car. after the car is warm, it starts produce greyish/bluish smoke. The car drives fine. Power is still there. I'm hoping its the turbo and not the pistons.

I'll try to take a video and post it for better diag.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.