Check Engine light
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Check Engine light within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone I got a problem with the wrx and looking to see if anyone can help a subie newb ...

Registered User mdwstinnovation's Avatar

Check Engine light

Hey everyone I got a problem with the wrx and looking to see if anyone can help a subie newb like me. Well here what happened, I turning out from a red light, and had the car in first. I took the car to about 5000 rpms, and shifted into second, and the car jolted me forward as if I hit the breaks. I had my foot on the gas, but the car wouldn't move, and the the car died and the check engine light came on. I've had this happen a few days ago, but the car did not die, I just took it out of second then put it back into second and it ran fine. I don't understand why this is happening. I just had the motor replaced a couple weeks ago, and did the break in period for 1000 miles. So if anyone knows why this is happening that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    JT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You don't give enough info to go on. What mods (if any) does the car have? Did you hook up to an OBD2 reader and pull the codes? Why was the motor replaced and who did it? Any other issues during the break-in period?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Post your mods/model year/and the number of the code you're getting. Don't rev past 3500 until you solve the problem or get some advice from someone on here; you don't want to make anything worse if you have an issue with the engine.

Delete post!!!
    Last edited by mdwstinnovation; 06-23-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Sorry guys about the last post my internet is down at home and I tried to use my blackberry, but it obviously didn't work too well haha. Anyways its a 03 WRX with SPT intake and catback exhaust. I don't have an OBD2 reader, so I don't have the code. Is there any other way to obtain the code? The motor was replaced by Subaru because of a spun rod bearing. During the break in period the only issue I had was the gas peddle was stiff one day than loose another. I checked the throttle cable and is there two of them or is it just me? I have no idea since this is my first Subaru, but the cable on the right is a looser compared to the one on the left.

Thanks,
    JT

I Support ClubWRX
    Borrow a code reader from Autozone
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Borrow a code reader from Autozone
    Which is free and only takes like 5 minutes. Then post the number the guy gives you...

Well I got in the car after class today to take the car to autozone, and the check engine light has gone away. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by mdwstinnovation View Post
    Well I got in the car after class today to take the car to autozone, and the check engine light has gone away. Any suggestions?
    If you turn the key on and off three times without the car experiencing the problem that originally triggered the light, it will erase the code....I forget how but there is a way to find out what the code was even if the light is out...

Well I'll try and figure out how to do that, thanks for the info. If it happens again, Im gunna have to go straight to autozone or some where and get the code.

Thanks again,
    JT

Sounds like a plan. I bet you a dollar either Testes1010 or Donkey could tell you how to do it...I'll PM them.

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    I bet you a dollar either Testes1010 or Donkey could tell you how to do it...I'll PM them.
    OOoO, a dollar.....cool, I can buy a handfull of gas with that

The code should show up as a history code, I'm not sure if the standard OBDII readers can read history codes although I would think they would. I generally only use ECUExplorer for reading codes which does show history codes.

With out knowing more about it, it sounds like a Intercooler(or inlet) hose is holding on for dear life allowing fresh air to enter the intake w/o being metered & during shifting load drops & there no fuel causing the car to die/sputter.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

I Support ClubWRX
    I think most OBDII readers will show "historic" codes as long as the battery hasn't been disconnected in between.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by testes1010 View Post
    OOoO, a dollar.....cool, I can buy a handfull of gas with that

The code should show up as a history code, I'm not sure if the standard OBDII readers can read history codes although I would think they would. I generally only use ECUExplorer for reading codes which does show history codes.

With out knowing more about it, it sounds like a Intercooler(or inlet) hose is holding on for dear life allowing fresh air to enter the intake w/o being metered & during shifting load drops & there no fuel causing the car to die/sputter.
    I'll try autozone tomorrow and see if they can get the code from history. Where do u get the ECUExplorer?

So basicly check the hoses and see how they are holding up? Maybe someone forgot to fully tighten one down?

Thanks for all the help guys, now its time for me to get going on this problem. haha wish me luck!

Oh and thanks TimDog for all ur help, ur a lifesaver!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.