Clutch - Unidentified Problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Clutch - Unidentified Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Guys and Gals I need some help. I have had my 2002 WRX for about 2 years now. It has ...

Clutch - Unidentified Problem

Guys and Gals

I need some help. I have had my 2002 WRX for about 2 years now. It has about 83k miles with no problems and original clutch. The deal is the clutch seems to be slipping when I am starting from a dead stop. Slipping is the best word I can use to describe this phenomenon. Essentially the car acts like it is going to stall out by shaking around despite amble throttle application with slow clutch engagement. It only seems to happen when the car is cold, and will generally fade once the car is at normal operating temp. What do you guys think? Is it time to replace the clutch? Is this common occurance with WRX models? Thanks for your time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Krick View Post
    Guys and Gals

I need some help. I have had my 2002 WRX for about 2 years now. It has about 83k miles with no problems and original clutch. The deal is the clutch seems to be slipping when I am starting from a dead stop. Slipping is the best word I can use to describe this phenomenon. Essentially the car acts like it is going to stall out by shaking around despite amble throttle application with slow clutch engagement. It only seems to happen when the car is cold, and will generally fade once the car is at normal operating temp. What do you guys think? Is it time to replace the clutch? Is this common occurance with WRX models? Thanks for your time.
    once the clutch is warm it has a better tendancy to grab. to test it put ur car in third gear going up a steep hill, after letting the clutch out all the way flor it see if the rpms spike and you dont reallly gain speed, then more than likely it;s bad. thats a good amount of miles on a stock clutch.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

I Support ClubWRX
    if it chatters on take-off, most likely, it's worn, or the flywheel is warped. getting heat in it (after warm-up) will often make the chatter less evident, in some cases.

I don't think it's slipping, as usually the clutch will slip in a high-load situation (4 or 5 gear, uphill or WOT) if it's in early stages of failure.

If you ride with your foot 'resting' on the clutch pedal, it could very well be that too much heat has been applied to the flywheel, thus, warping it.

I think a clutch-set and flywheel are in your near future..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Thanks for great responses!

I was starting to think 83K miles is a lot for a stock clutch. Is there any way to decipher the difference between a clutch and flywheel issue?

Now that you mention the possible chattering dissipation with a warm engine it makes more sense. I can sometimes sense an ever so slight chatter in the clutch even with a warm engine. So, does this mean a flywheel or clutch issue?

The thing is the problem is so fickle. It just kind of comes and goes with the wind. So it is hard to go drop a bunch of money on problem that is not always there.

Do you guys know of a broad price range I could expect to pay for a clutch and flywheel separate or together? I realize the price variables like aftermarket parts, dealerships and such. I just want to avoid being ripped off.

PS No problem getting the foot off the clutch here.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd prolly just prep for replacing both..
    what color is the clutch fluid? is it nice and clear, or dark-to-black?
    If it's not nice 'n clear, I'd start off by flushing the clutch fliud and replace it with freshness

then monitor the clutch issues..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I like the simple and logical approach. Thanks for your time.

I will keep you posted on how things go.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.