Few problems i could use some help with please

This is a discussion on Few problems i could use some help with please within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, Ok I bought my 04 sti about 2 months ago or so, and now im starting to have 3 ...

Few problems i could use some help with please

Hello,

Ok I bought my 04 sti about 2 months ago or so, and now im starting to have 3 problems i could use some help with since i cannot figure it out.
    First as of today i smell fuel coming in through my vents, now i did a search on the forums and could only find this relating to cold weather and its definatly not cold here in las vegas lol, it was about 104 today. when i got home today i started smelling it again when i pulled into the garage and i checked the lines under the hood and check my gas cap since i got gas today and everything seems fine. when i turned the car off i started hearing like a boiling sound and heard it coming from around the fuel tank which kind of scared me since i havent heard this before.

Second problem is i hear a popping sound like i hit a screwdriver into a coffee can. but i only hear it when i go in reverse or when i accelerate quickly. i also looked for this on the forums and most people had theres happen at different times then mine. the car still seems to have some kick to it but im not sure if its running right, the guy sopsoedly had all this stuff done to the car like boring out the turbo and such and so im only running like 9psi but who knows if this is true or not. i also have gotten a check engine light twice now but both time i got it was when i was way out in the middle of nowhere so i wasnt able to get the codes read but after like 200 miles or so it would go away. i have seen a few posts on this issue about how it could be a bad cat or if im missing the cat that could also cause it. so i do have a cat i took it off the car to look at it and it looks like they just took a drill kinda and drilled right through the honey comb, so i can assume that this would cause my check engine light and i figured maybe the pop sound was because it was clogged or something. now when i put the cat back on i noticed this like gold bracket that was on there and it only covered half of the cat tube when it connects to the down pipe. it looked like it wasnt allowing the gasket to actually seal the 2 pieces together so i removed it so they would seal with the gasket and i still get the noise so now i know it isnt that.

Last problem is that when i was driving between AZ,CA, and NV i noticed that when i turned my cruise control on it would just randomly turn off it wasnt under any certain conidition as they changed from state to state just sometimes it wont stay on.

anyways if anyone can give me some guidence that would be great.
    Last edited by assbitbo; 06-20-2008 at 04:33 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well, without the mods you have on in, it sounds like you have an after market exhaust, possibly without the cats or with them bored out. That might cause gas smell and the "poping". Also it would cause your check engine light to come off and on, as the O2 sensor would read high temps in the pipe...The cruise control could be a few things, and I'm just shooting in the dark here. One, there is a recall for 04wrx/sti cruise control linkages, something with the clip needs to be replaced. The other depends if you have / had engine management. Id its running a Cobb map, and its one of their "launch maps" it uses the cruise contol/defrost buttons. but then again, I need the mod list to guess better....
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

ok here is a list i got when i bought the car with all the stuff it soposedly has

Fugitsubo turbo back exhaust
    Ported extrude honed turbo exhaust housing
    ECU reflash
    DCCD reprogrammed for current suspension
    Endless Zeal Super Function R Mag Body, Ti spring 6 way Coil overs
    Endless Zeal Brake Pads
    STI Lateral Links/STI strut tower braces F/R
    sti Trailing arms
    Complete Group N bushing Kit
    Group N motor mounts and rear diff mounts
    Prodrive Front and rear limited slip diff carriers
    front caster camber plates
    rear camber plates
    dash pod billet face housing boost guage and clock
    Greedy turbo timer
    SPT clutch pressure plate and flywheel
    SPT short shifter
    Roll cage(not on anymore not sure what happened to it lol)
    JDM fog lights
    JDM front and rear bumper beams
    Turbo XS boost controller
    K&N drop in air filter
    Brembo 380mm rotors

like i said not sure how much of this stuff is really on the car i know the short shifter,turbo timer, boost controller, brembo rotors, fog lights, air filter boost gauge, and brake pads are on it for sure, the rest i dont really know. i havent seen a stock exhaust so im not sure if mine is stock or not, it has sti on the side of it so i assume that its stock
    anyways if you need to know anything else that can help let me know please

well, I'd say the poping, feul smell, and Check engine are related to the turbo back exhaust. The cats are proably missing, or hollowed, and the cars running rich too.
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

cool thanks for the info ill have to take go ahead and hook up my extra air fuel gauge i got in the garage and maybe look for a nice exhaust and cat

ok i got my check engine light again today so i took it to autozone and had the codes read. i have a p0420 code and a p0244 code. i did some searching on this and everyones seems to be different for the 420 code but for the 244 code there is quite a few different things ive seen people with cracked radiators, blown headgaskets, people with no cats, so i think im just going to take it back to the dealership and have them look into it since its still under warrenty. just figured id find out what you guys think