Back rotors removal prob

This is a discussion on Back rotors removal prob within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got a new set all 4 rotors for my 02 wrx. Got the front ones on pretty easy ...

Back rotors removal prob

I just got a new set all 4 rotors for my 02 wrx. Got the front ones on pretty easy few stuck bolts and a little soft mallet action. Then I went to take off the back ones and they wouldn't budge. I sat there for about half an hour hitting them with a soft mallet and nothing. I figured the back rotors would be the same as the front (just take off the caliper and they slide off.) But for some reason they dont want to move at all. Am I not trying hard enough or am I missing something like a extra bolt. Please, any help would be a life saver.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There should be some threaded holes on the rotor that you can screw two 8mm (size?) bolts into to force the rotor off. That's what I had to do when I changed my rotors.

ty good idea. Do i need to take off the gold bolt right in the middle of the wheel? I believe it hold the wheel hub on? or do the rotors just slide off with the 2 bolt trick?

Quote Originally Posted by xtrememotion View Post
    There should be some threaded holes on the rotor that you can screw two 8mm (size?) bolts into to force the rotor off. That's what I had to do when I changed my rotors.
    Ran down to the store grabbed some bolts, now im finished!!!! Your a lifesaver I got done about 45 min before work!!!! thank you thank you thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bnowell4ver View Post
    ty good idea. Do i need to take off the gold bolt right in the middle of the wheel? I believe it hold the wheel hub on? or do the rotors just slide off with the 2 bolt trick?
    That's the axle nut, only need to remove that if you are removing the spindle or axle.
    VF34'd Corvette Killer
    Bugeye Mafia Member #188

A bigger hammer would have saved you alot of time...

Quote Originally Posted by nowherefast View Post
    A bigger hammer would have saved you alot of time...
    I disagree a service manual would a better choice than a bigger hammer (like how they mention about threading a bolt to remove stuck rotors)
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Actual Bolt Size?

What was the size of the additional bolts used to push the rotors?

Oh, forgot to mention to make sure the parking brake is off.

I ended up using a 5/16"x18 since I didn't have a metric bolt. Just had to clean the threads once I had it off.
    VF34'd Corvette Killer
    Bugeye Mafia Member #188