overheating at stoplights?

This is a discussion on overheating at stoplights? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ...Then running well below normal while driving. Upgraded my radiator a while ago, burped it numerous times to get the ...

overheating at stoplights?

...Then running well below normal while driving. Upgraded my radiator a while ago, burped it numerous times to get the right amount, and just when I think everything is back to normal, I'll overheat, pull over, and now my coolant overflow is WAY above full.

This has led me to believe that my thermostat has gone **** up. If I'm wrong, please feel free to enlighten me. My next step will not be to replace it, just to remove it for good. I live in Florida so it's hot most of the time, and hotter than balls this time of the year.

Ok, let me have it...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TrailerTrashed View Post
    ...Then running well below normal while driving. Upgraded my radiator a while ago, burped it numerous times to get the right amount, and just when I think everything is back to normal, I'll overheat, pull over, and now my coolant overflow is WAY above full.

This has led me to believe that my thermostat has gone **** up. If I'm wrong, please feel free to enlighten me. My next step will not be to replace it, just to remove it for good. I live in Florida so it's hot most of the time, and hotter than balls this time of the year.

Ok, let me have it...
    Could be ure thermo... but then moving or not wouldnt matter. I would check to make sure ure cooling fan is coming on.

It could be the thermostat. To know, buy a new one, pull the old one and boil the two of them together in a pan on your stove. If the new one opens first, it is the thermostat,

If no difference, check that your radiator fans are running.

If they are then you probably have a blown head gasket.

I Support ClubWRX
    Running without a thermostat is a bad idea.Any way if it was the thermostat it would be overheating no matter what.I agree with the other guys,check the main fan.Start the car and let it idle to warm up.If it overheats before the fan kicks on then check the fan fuse and go from there.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+4 on the fan, not the thermostat. Just see whether it's turning when your car is sitting still.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading