Type of coolant for 2006 model

This is a discussion on Type of coolant for 2006 model within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have 2006 WRX TR and I noticed that my coolant level is low (around 38.000 miles on clock), I ...

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine

Type of coolant for 2006 model

I have 2006 WRX TR and I noticed that my coolant level is low (around 38.000 miles on clock), I like to add some. I never replaced original coolant yet.
    Should I get some Subaru brand from the dealer or I can add/mix some generic one?
    I am planning to replace all coolant next summer.
    Thanks,
    Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235 View Post
    I have 2006 WRX TR and I noticed that my coolant level is low (around 38.000 miles on clock), I like to add some. I never replaced original coolant yet.
    Should I get some Subaru brand from the dealer or I can add/mix some generic one?
    I am planning to replace all coolant next summer.
    Thanks,
    Alex
    Your coolant should be replaced every 30k miles, do it now. USE ONLY SUBARU LONG LIFE COOLANT. You will also need a bottle of conditioner from Subaru. Go buy it at the dealer.

Warning:
    Subaru coolant is not formulated to mix with other coolants. Forget what you think you may know, color means nothing.

FWIW
    08+ use Subaru Super Long Life Coolant.

Last edited by 06wrx4me; 06-18-2008 at 07:29 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Forget what you think you may know, color means nothing.
    Well, I know that much.
    Otherwise thanks for the quick reply. All I need to know.

DONT use the conditioner, it has bene discussed many times that it contains a type of stop leak. use the subaru coolant though... Sure you could use the universal coolants at autozone etc, and they will work, and you will probably never have a problem. But, the universal coolants sacrifice some cooling properties to make them "one size fits all" Subaru works the best. Also make sure you get distilled water to mix with it, should be able to get it at the grocery store for about 50 cents a gollon
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

Quote Originally Posted by TrackReady View Post
    DONT use the conditioner, it has bene discussed many times that it contains a type of stop leak. use the subaru coolant though... Sure you could use the universal coolants at autozone etc, and they will work, and you will probably never have a problem. But, the universal coolants sacrifice some cooling properties to make them "one size fits all" Subaru works the best. Also make sure you get distilled water to mix with it, should be able to get it at the grocery store for about 50 cents a gollon
    Thanks for chip in.
    Will def use Subaru coolant, already got it today from the dealer and will mix 50/50 as noted on the bottle sticker, I am planning to use it all 12 month, make it all season and of course it will be distilled water.
    A little off topic. Just curious if my local Subie parts store fairly charge me.
    For each gallon coolant $16.29
    conditioner $1.18
    I also got oil plug gaskets for 99 cents each.
    Sounds fair to me.

Alex

If that's really long life coolant then it only needs to be replaced every 100k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. If the recommended service interval on the coolant is 30k, then that's not long life coolant.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

yesterday, when I went to the dealer parts dept, I pick up one of the bucklets from the counter, breefly look through.
    I did read an article about the difference between Long Life Coolant (green) and the Super Long Life (blue)
    It did say that the green one needs to be change every 30.000 mles or 30 month I believe, and the blue is 11 years or over 100.000 miles (don't remember exact #).
    Both numbers are really surprising. 30.000 miles is being too quick IMO, and over 100.000, 11 years too long.
    But what do I know
    Also, the blue one is pre-mix and no need to be deluted with water.
    Both these coolant can be mixed between each other, but then coolant replacement period will fail to 30.000 miles.
    Alex

I want to resurrect my old thread.
    My question is about coolant conditioner.
    Does it have any benefits or actually opposite when added as Subaru recommend to the Long Life coolant?
    I've heard contradicting opinions.
    Alex

Well as far as just cooling the engine the distilled water is what is actually keeping it cool... I'm kinda biased when it comes to "factory coolants" cause I absolutley hate gm's dex cool... all dex cool does is cause clogging problems and turn to jelly but they say it only has to be changes every 150K miles... call a subaru dealer or soa to get more info...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Well as far as just cooling the engine the distilled water is what is actually keeping it cool... I'm kinda biased when it comes to "factory coolants" cause I absolutley hate gm's dex cool... all dex cool does is cause clogging problems and turn to jelly but they say it only has to be changes every 150K miles... call a subaru dealer or soa to get more info...
    Subaru dealer actually sold me the conditioner twice, each time I went to pick up the coolant.

Thanks for asking those questions I'm having the same problem and the service writer at my dealership is an idiot. I think I'm going to try the super long life and hope the problem resolves. I've heard the additive is like stop leak because they are know for leaking coolant into the head. Not sure if thats true. I just want to stop having to check it so often. is anyone else having this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxjdm View Post
    Thanks for asking those questions I'm having the same problem and the service writer at my dealership is an idiot. I think I'm going to try the super long life and hope the problem resolves. I've heard the additive is like stop leak because they are know for leaking coolant into the head. Not sure if thats true. I just want to stop having to check it so often. is anyone else having this problem.
    I am not sure I understood correctly your question. What you check so often and what problem you have?
    As for me, I am new to most of Impreza maintenance yet and almost satisfied with answers to my questions from the board members, would like to hear more opinions on conditioner though, should or shouldn't. If no more reply on conditioner, this coming weekend I will use undiluted Long Life coolant mixed with distill water 50/50 and will add the conditioner as a service manual suggest and most people do.
    BTW, anyone know from the top of the head, how often thermostat needs to be change? I hope not every coolant replacement e.g 30K
    Last edited by nofear6235; 08-18-2010 at 06:36 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235 View Post
    I am not sure I understood correctly your question. What you check so often and what problem you have?
    As for me, I am new to most of Impreza maintenance yet and satisfied with answers to my questions from the board members in my thread. This coming weekend I will use undiluted Long Life coolant mixed with distill water 50/50 and will add the conditioner as a service manual suggest and most people do.
    BTW, anyone know from the top of the head, how often thermostat needs to be change? I hope not every coolant replacement e.g 30K
    The thermostat isn't listed as an item for regular service. An opportune time to change it would be when the timing belt is changed, since almost everything else on the front of the motor will be apart anyway. However, it is easy to access the thermostat at any time. I have not changed mine at 160k Km. I might, then again I might not; I've not decided quite yet.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

That is what I thought. Thanks SD!
    What is your take on conditioner man, share with me please
    Do you use it? Common sense told me that this thing definitely not for cooling engine, but to stop "possible" leaks, at the same time the whole coolant system may get clogged slowly, but again, if it would be the case, why Subaru recommend, or at the same time why Subaru continue make leaking engines,,.Hmm
    Last edited by nofear6235; 08-18-2010 at 08:45 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I did not use it the last time I changed coolant. However, many, many people do. I am unaware of gasket problems with the WRX engines. I am also unaware of problems introduced by the coolant itself. In other words, I don't know... Maybe someone that knows some more info will post. Good question.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.