Air conditioning problems

This is a discussion on Air conditioning problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just bought a 2002 WRX impreza and overall I am very happy with the car, (I upgraded from ...

Air conditioning problems

So I just bought a 2002 WRX impreza and overall I am very happy with the car, (I upgraded from a 5th gen honda prelude). The only problem is the day after I get it the air conditioning stops working and the A/C compressor starts smoking. I come to find out it had just been replaced after having the same problem. The mechanic that did the work said that maybe the expansion valve is to blame, I'm not convinced. What do you guys think? Also has anybody had this problem before? and are there any good sources for cheap OEM parts (the local dealership wants 571.96 for a new compressor that seems a little high to me). I've searched the forums for these answers with no luck so if there is a previous thread with any of this info please post it and I'll check it out. Thanks for the help in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A smoked clutch is probably a dragging compressor. It could be that there isn't enough oil in the system. A professional is needed to figure this out. Also, most compressors are replaced with refurbished units at lower cost than new.