Huge loss of Power - CEL
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Huge loss of Power - CEL within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have an '07 with 10,700 miles on it now Go to the pet store grab some bags of ...

Huge loss of Power - CEL

So I have an '07 with 10,700 miles on it now

Go to the pet store grab some bags of dog food throw them in my trunk start up the car and I have no power, flooring the car does basically nothing. CEL light is on and Cruise light is flashing. Shut the car off, back on, same thing, do this again and now I have power to actually get home but CEL is still on and Cruise light still flashing.

I was fairly low on fuel but probably a gallon or more to go before the light comes on, but on the way home I get fuel any way. After filling up I get back in the car and the CEL is off and everything seems well. I had made a few other stops i needed to make before this one and each time the CEL was on.

Anyone have any idea what happened?
    2007 Impreza WRX Limited Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by preludezen View Post
    So I have an '07 with 10,700 miles on it now

Go to the pet store grab some bags of dog food throw them in my trunk start up the car and I have no power, flooring the car does basically nothing. CEL light is on and Cruise light is flashing. Shut the car off, back on, same thing, do this again and now I have power to actually get home but CEL is still on and Cruise light still flashing.

I was fairly low on fuel but probably a gallon or more to go before the light comes on, but on the way home I get fuel any way. After filling up I get back in the car and the CEL is off and everything seems well. I had made a few other stops i needed to make before this one and each time the CEL was on.

Anyone have any idea what happened?
    limp mode

loose gas cap?
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I have a 2005 STi and last night I experienced the same problem. I ran to the store to grab a 12 pack and on the way home, it had normal power. Took off at a stop sign not too hard but more than avg and it just seemed to bog out on me, it rev's really slow and turbo will not boost over .04 bar. no smoke, no leaks, no knock. all fluid levels are fine and i have that flashing cruise light and solid CEL on. I dont know what's up with it.

limp mode yeah.

This happened in my Z. Driving down the highway at 80 mph, the CEL came on and the car jerked back, dropped around 2k rmps and dropped 10 mph. It was so sudden I almost lost control lol. This is one of the more drastic cases.
    07 Magnetic Black 350Z | AAM 3" Ti Single Exhaust | AAM Y-Pipe | AAM Test Pipes | AAM n/a Tune | Stance GR+ True Coilovers | SPC Camber Kits | Falken FK452 | Rota P45R |

Preludezen and sbzenth....get to an autozone and have them read the codes. Even if the light is not currently on, they can still see what code was recently stored. Once you find out what number the code is, post that number here and we can help. Otherwise, we're just pissing into the wind trying to take guesses.

Oh, and +1 on the gascap thing for the OP...

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    Preludezen and sbzenth....get to an autozone and have them read the codes. Even if the light is not currently on, they can still see what code was recently stored. Once you find out what number the code is, post that number here and we can help. Otherwise, we're just pissing into the wind trying to take guesses.

Oh, and +1 on the gascap thing for the OP...
    my car is in the shop getting tuned so that light wont be on for longer. It was from the lack of cats I am guessing. when i get it back ill go to autozone and get the code.
    07 Magnetic Black 350Z | AAM 3" Ti Single Exhaust | AAM Y-Pipe | AAM Test Pipes | AAM n/a Tune | Stance GR+ True Coilovers | SPC Camber Kits | Falken FK452 | Rota P45R |

+1 to the gas cap.

ALOT of new cars have this and throw a temp cel, or just simply won't start.

Make sure it clicks when you put the cap back on!
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
    - W.C. Fields

CEL code

My CEL code shows Catalyst system below threshold bank 1, it wont boost more than .03 .04. slow to rev, no smoke, no ticks just seems like its maybe the BCS because pushing that boost seems to be just off the wastegate. But i know its running very crappy, it wants to stall when coming to a stop, 2005 sti only mod is a turboxs shortram intake. If anyone knows maybe why its not boosting correctly or has any ideas i'd greatly appreciate any information. Thanks

Timdog... im going to autozone in an hour or so to get the code. ill tell you when i get back. I got the car back after the tune, and it was running better than ever. Till it threw the CEL again. It pulls all timing.

Quote Originally Posted by sbzenth View Post
    Timdog... im going to autozone in an hour or so to get the code. ill tell you when i get back. I got the car back after the tune, and it was running better than ever. Till it threw the CEL again. It pulls all timing.

No codes showed up. It was clear. wth? lol

Thanks for the input guys, I guess it was the gas cap wasn't on tight but I have never seen this - I always try to make sure the cap is on tight but i can only assume that this is what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by bryandev View Post
    I have a 2005 STi and last night I experienced the same problem. I ran to the store to grab a 12 pack and on the way home, it had normal power. Took off at a stop sign not too hard but more than avg and it just seemed to bog out on me, it rev's really slow and turbo will not boost over .04 bar. no smoke, no leaks, no knock. all fluid levels are fine and i have that flashing cruise light and solid CEL on. I dont know what's up with it.
    This is precisely what happened to me. No other issues just "limp mode" as others have described it

Thats strange that your car would go into limp mode over a evap leak, if subaru does infact do this they are the ONLY manufacturer that does this. Only thing the gas cap will do if set a p0455 "Gross Evap Leak" code when ever the car completes a OBD Mode6 Drive cycle. Car's should drive fine with this code stored. As far as the guy with the cat below threshold code... If I am reading correctly you have a all stock exhaust? That's definately not good, that would mean you have super-heated your cats with a gas additive or equivalent and your cats are chemically-inactive. If your catless than that code will come up, but FOR SURE will not make a Subaru (or any other car) go into limp mode either. FYI Most common things that make a car go into limp mode is some sort of descepency in Actual Throttle Position compared to ECU commanded TP or APP logic vs Actual TP... For electronic TP cars especially. Or of course a shorted VREF for the Vehicle... Which can be somthing as simple as a bug in your maf, or maf disconnected completely.... thats never good either
    Last edited by TrackReady; 07-01-2008 at 08:14 PM.
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

Quote Originally Posted by TrackReady View Post
    Thats strange that your car would go into limp mode over a evap leak, if subaru does infact do this they are the ONLY manufacturer that does this. Only thing the gas cap will do if set a p0455 "Gross Evap Leak" code when ever the car completes a OBD Mode6 Drive cycle. Car's should drive fine with this code stored. As far as the guy with the cat below threshold code... If I am reading correctly you have a all stock exhaust? That's definately not good, that would mean you have super-heated your cats with a gas additive or equivalent and your cats are chemically-inactive. If your catless than that code will come up, but FOR SURE will not make a Subaru (or any other car) go into limp mode either. FYI Most common things that make a car go into limp mode is some sort of descepency in Actual Throttle Position compared to ECU commanded TP or APP logic vs Actual TP... For electronic TP cars especially. Or of course a shorted VREF for the Vehicle... Which can be somthing as simple as a bug in your maf, or maf disconnected completely.... thats never good either
    I'm not saying your wrong, but - go to google and search for "limp mode" and "gas cap". Plenty of results.

"limp mode" "gas cap" - Google Search
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Well, it would seem odd to me, I have personally never seen a car go into limp over a evap leak. Looking through those google responses, every one I pulled up ended up there because sombody said "check the cap," and it ended up being something different. I guess to be safe I should say this, a FMC made or owned product will run fine with a gas cap off. Now with the gas cap off, when the vapor management valve opens to "suck down" the evap system, then it would have effectively opened up a source to umetered air.
    Last edited by TrackReady; 07-01-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.