"Help" I call this "Funky Idle"

This is a discussion on "Help" I call this "Funky Idle" within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm going to be as brief as I can and hopefully some wrx guru will have some advice. I ...

Registered User BostonExecution's Avatar

"Help" I call this "Funky Idle"

So I'm going to be as brief as I can and hopefully some wrx guru will have some advice.

I have a 03 wrx and it has a minor idle problem.

He goes it, my car idles funky, around 1200 rpm all the time, (before the check engine light came on it idled at 500, 600 rpm)
    First it has little to no effect most of the time because I usually drive at more than 1200 rpm. However sometimes when I'm stuck in traffic it's a total PIA!

About a month ago the check engine light came on and this problem started. First I went to Auto Zone and had them check the code (Iím somewhat savvy when it comes to cars so I know what the IAC sensor is, the TPS sensor etc, I can change my own oil, break pads and rotors the minor stuff).
    The gentlemen at AutoZone said itís the IAC sensor (Idle Air Control sensor) had them check the price and itís like 450 bucks. I was going to say Eff it and buy the sensor but the very next day it was hot outside and the car went back to Idle at 500 rpm and I unplugged the positive terminal for 60 seconds and started the car and it ran fine with no problems plus the check engine light went off. What FUNK is this, so now in my head I'm thinking weather has a minor roll on this problem which is kind of bizarre to me?
    Any who, throughout the week on the hot days the car only after driving a substantial amount of miles would go back to normal and I would unplug the terminal and fantastic, its good to go. Well, until the car sits over night it goes right back to the same problem. Any ideas anyone?? When the check engine light is on and I'm getting on the car some, I can feel hesitation (this is no good because my car got spanked by an old school Acura today, the kids was impressed, I was not).
    Some of my friends say clean the throttle body, others say just buy the sensor, but what gives, and sometimes the car is okay. Now I can not get my inspection sticker because of the check engine light and if you live in MA you know the "fuzz" will pull you over for anything, and I can't afford anymore insurance violations. My father said this doesnít sound like the IAC sensor, he said it sounds more like the TPS sensor. I'm trying to avoid pulling the intercooler off to clean the Throttle Body, looks like it could be a pain, and then again Iím not sure. I have no mods to the car; itís a standard and an O3. Hit me up if you can help, thanks guys/gals.

TheReplacement: thanks for the comment, I never use A/c and I tried turning the defrost off and on, no change but thank you for the advice. Iv'e only had the car for 3 months and I called the previous owner and he told me to check all the vac hoses because he had the check engine light problem in the past so on to the dealership I go..Booo 115$ per hour!! Hopefully its a lose or disconnected hose.
    Last edited by BostonExecution; 06-17-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Update

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow thats a lot of info the only thing i could offer is to see whether this is occurring only with the defrost or AC turned on; mine has a funky idle that varies up and down with these running, if it's not that simple then I don't know of an easy fix.

idle/ speed sensor

I am having the same problem with hesitation. I recently purchased the 05 WRX with 40k 1 month ago. I am having it fixed this week with a new ICV. 326 + labor. the hesitation or jerking is pretty scary being a new owner. It also has a p0503 low imput speed sensor reading. my speedodometer dropps to zero and sometimes fluctuates during hot days. get back to me or i will try to get back at ya a few days after repair let you know what happened with the IAV replaced.

Registered User BostonExecution's Avatar

Funky Idle

Let me know how everything goes. The same code came up for the low input speen sensor also. The jerking is awful esp when Im in traffic. I have not fixed the problem yet. I dont have a problem with the speedo but it has all the other symptoms. Hit me up

Smile its fixed, i hope!

Well after the aggervation of getting the toyota dealer i purchased the car from to pay for the repairs total cost 735.30.......It seems to be fixed. They replaced the the IACV (326.34) and she runs great. I did ask for the part back from WHG Subaru dealership (and they were so kind to give it to me) to inspect it, it had just a little bit of carbon built up in it, but still looked new. They also replaced the speed sensor just below the firewall (82.11) and the speed odometer worked great, it was a fairly hot day here in WV. I seemed to have this problem on hot days only, on cool or rainly days it worked fine. I just had it fixed yesterday and i drove it approx 100 miles and my pick up has improved and the hesitation seems to have disappeared. I'm going to go run it some this evening and see how she does! i could post again at the end of weekend for update.

What is the IACV?

When i start up my car it idles at about 1200 rpm for a minute or two, but returns to 750 when i put it in gear. Is this anything to worry about?
    My emotions, and how my car is currently running are somehow interconnected. I would hate to see how I would react if I totalled it!

My car pulled a low idle code, and did not have a high idle. It idled approx 600 rpms. It does idle at 1500 but only while warming up! After replacing the IACV the car runns great! no hesitation while accelerating or when the turbo kicks in! this is a $300 part, but it has stopped doing everything mentioned in the previous threads.