WRX Engine Issue (Poss. Rev Limiter)... Any ideas?

This is a discussion on WRX Engine Issue (Poss. Rev Limiter)... Any ideas? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so gremlins have returned in my 02 WRX. I thought I had the problem resolved but evidently it just ...

WRX Engine Issue (Poss. Rev Limiter)... Any ideas?

Ok, so gremlins have returned in my 02 WRX. I thought I had the problem resolved but evidently it just went away because the ambient temperature went down again.

First off:
    • 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
    • EJ20T Engine (~121,000 mi)
    • Auto Transmission
    • Invidia G200 Cat-back Exhaust
    • Vishnu Catless Up-pipe
    • Stock Downpipe with Cat
    • Stock Midpipe with Cat
    • NGK G-Power Plugs (replaced at ~96,253 mi)
    • Napa Gold Fuel Filter (replaced at ~115,000 mi)
    • MAF removed, cleaned and reinstalled
    • Front O2 Sensor replaced (~95,000 mi)
    • All fluids synthetic all around (Mobil 1) and changed regularly
    • No CEL's (hidden or otherwise) per Scanner
    • New fuel pump instaleld (~115,000 mi)

With the temperatures quickly climbing in the excess of the 90's here in Pennsylvania, suddenly an old gremlin has reared its ugly head. When the car gets up to operating temperature (about mid line in the temp gauge), it starts acting funny. What happens, to the best I can articulate it as, it seems like it goes into 'limp mode'. She just will not go over 3500 RPM's, it is like hitting a ceiling at that point. She sounds like she wants to try to go above that but it just cuts out and drops down below 3500 RPM's.

I am starting to think it is a clogged downpipe cat but wouldn't that occur no matter what the ambient air temperature would be? I mean it typically happens when the vehicle is in ambient air temperature greater than 90*F and happens very often if it is sitting in traffic for any length of time. It does get better (very little better) if after sitting in traffic it gets air of the open road for awhile.

This really leaves me completely confounded. Luckily with the price of gas, the vehicle has just been sitting primarily but it is the vehicle we prefer to take on trips (due to the storage space) and I really REALLY want to get this damn gremlin exorcised. Any ideas?
    Last edited by magis123; 06-13-2008 at 12:37 PM.
    Thank You,
    Keith O. McKeever, Jr.
    AIM/YIM - Magis123, ICQ - 18700163, MSN - Magis123@hotmal.com
    '02 PSM Subaru Impreza WRXa Sports Wagon
    6th Sphere Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First thing I would do is change the fuel filter and the fuel pump.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Shoot forgot to add that ... new fuel pump installed at 115k ... will edit my post ... so both only have about 6k on them
    Thank You,
    Keith O. McKeever, Jr.
    6th Sphere Forums

I had a similar problem on my 04 wrx. car would not go above 4k rpm. The Crank Position Sensor was loose on my car, after correctly plugging the sensor in the car runs perfect. Not sure it could be your problem though since you said the car runs fine unless the ambient temp. is above 90? correct?
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Yeah it runs fine when the temperature is cool. All winter long it ran like a champ, and even if you take it out in the evenings on days where it has acted up ... BOOM ... no problems.

Crank Position Sensor (CPS) sounds like an interesting idea, someone also sent me a PM suggesting the Tumble Generator Valve(TGV ??) which I am researching.
    Thank You,
    Keith O. McKeever, Jr.
    6th Sphere Forums

what did you do to fix it. cause mine just started doing it too. same exact problem...only when its really hot out and stuff

Ha! I never did get it resolved, I just lived with it. That is until Penn DOT totalled my WRX in February. Now I am sadly Subaru free.
    Thank You,
    Keith O. McKeever, Jr.
    6th Sphere Forums