Loose STI spoiler

This is a discussion on Loose STI spoiler within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've got an '02 WRX with the STI wing. Recently I noticed the right side was slightly loose and tried ...

Loose STI spoiler

I've got an '02 WRX with the STI wing. Recently I noticed the right side was slightly loose and tried to tighten the nuts on the underside of the trunk and foolishly ended up shearing off one of the posts (bolts?) by overtightening the nut (it's the one on the passenger side outside closest to the rear windshield).

Now I get this deep banging/rattling from it when I hit bumps.

Anyone know how to replace one post without removing the entire wing and pulling up the adhesive? (I thought about drilling it out, but it looks like it needs to be fed downward....I'm hoping the posts aren't part of the entire spoiler assembly)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is it the OEM Subaru Sti wing or an aftermarket? My OEM wing the posts can slip in an out of holes on the bottom of the wing, so it would be an easy fix. I doubt you have an OEM Subaru wing, as mine has so many damn posts on it even if one broke there is no way it would rattle around (about 16 or so?)

Either way looks like you need to take the wing off to replace them, and remember to torque them properly, you might dent you trunk if you overtighten them!
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

I'm pretty sure it's the OEM wing - there are definitely a lot of posts (agreed it's around 16). I think if the one that had broke was in the middle, it wouldn't matter, but it's the one all the way on the outside right.

Thanks for the advice LIV 2 RLY.

The wing isn't really glued down very well, so removing it isn't a huge deal, when you put it back on you may want to seal around the edge of it. But the posts should be removeable and replaceable. Good luck, you might want some help to align the posts when you put the wing back on. The wing is awkward to handle and you could scratch your trunk if you aren't careful.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr