*HELP*URGENT!!! check engine light*HELP*
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on *HELP*URGENT!!! check engine light*HELP* within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; whats up fellas! newbie here! wondering if you guys can help me out... i just bought a used 02 "bug ...

Question *HELP*URGENT!!! check engine light*HELP*

whats up fellas!

newbie here! wondering if you guys can help me out...

i just bought a used 02 "bug eye" wrx, the hks sqv bov was not making the whistling sound i love to hear as much anymore. i do remember the salesman saying that it has a leak. anyways, as i was driving home today & the check engine light came on!!! once i saw it, i immediately got pissed!!! luckily, i have a obII code reader and found the suby codes for it too...this is what popped up: P0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold

what i want to know is...what the hell does that mean? is it something i can fix myself or should i take it in to get checked???

thanx!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

get a stock bpv and put it back on then see if it comes back on
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

did you or anyone you know have this problem too?

Exclamation the solution...

so i googled the trouble code and found some guy in a forum that post this up:

- Manual
    -9600 miles
    -P0420 Catalyst efficiancy fault
    - occured while cruising on highway, part throttle, Sunday night. <<[which is exactly what happend to me!]

-- took to dealer Monday, they cleared and sent me on my way, said "its a computer glitch and there is no fix, I cleared it, it probably won't come back."

so now thats outta the way, i just have to get my BOV check out.
    Last edited by teeter_7; 06-10-2008 at 03:24 PM.

I highly doubt the BOV caused this code. This code comes from the ECU seeing the downstream o2 (aftercat) switching between lean and rich like a upstream should. A downstream should read stready right around .45v, this is because a correctly operating cat should take in and let off oxygen keeping the a/f steady after the cat. If you have this code either your cat is chemically innactive or more than likely the car has the uppipe, downpipe, or all 3 cats gutted or replaced w/ resonators/strait pipe
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

nice to know, i will definitely be checking everything out real soon!

i deleted the code using my ob2 code reader and it has not popped up at all. so far so good!

thanx alot for the help!

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you catless?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by teeter_7 View Post
    nice to know, i will definitely be checking everything out real soon!

i deleted the code using my ob2 code reader and it has not popped up at all. so far so good!

thanx alot for the help!
    deleting the code just resets the diagnostic sensors. Once your car runs through its full diagnostic cycle, usually 100-300 miles, it will come back. The code basically means you are running no cats or a single high flow cat in your downpipe that is not efficient enough.

However, running a leaky BOV is going to cause problems in its own. Get a good recirculating bpv or swap a stocker back in.

A cobb AccessPORT will take care of that code.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

ok, so looks like im cat-less. thats why the code popped up. i just bought an HKS hi power muffler i wanna get on my wrx. do any of you know of a good muffler place that guarantees their work in souther california???

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teeter_7
    ok, so looks like im cat-less. thats why the code popped up. i just bought an HKS hi power muffler i wanna get on my wrx. do any of you know of a good muffler place that guarantees their work in souther california???
    CBE is pretty easy to put on - I would do it yourself.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

the cel has nothing to do w/the bov, but get the leak fixed anyways

your code has to do w/being catless, there are tons of posts on how to fix it....go forth and search
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.