AC Air conditioning.

This is a discussion on AC Air conditioning. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I was traveling up to Michigan and my a/c started blowing out like a "fog". things were working ...

AC Air conditioning.

Ok so I was traveling up to Michigan and my a/c started blowing out like a "fog". things were working till about half way though Ohio.. Yea I know i get that for driving in ohio. The a/c started not working as well. We stopped for lunch and I checked on things and the low pressure line was frozen. After lunch it was unfrozen and things worked great. Been in Michigan for a day or two and I took off and herd a belt squeal so I turned off the a/c. When I got home I popped the hood and when I would engage the a/c the compressor would started to turn and the engine would slow down and the compressor would slowly start to spin. I checked the low pressure ac line pressure and it was at 45psi and the manual says 18-28psi. I do not know where to start. So my questions are..

What do you think is wrong?
    Should I take it in?

Thanks guys
    Travis

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump Bump

Ok just a few things. First off, having a/c on a low blower motor speed on a long trip w/ low ambiant air temp gives the small chance that a properly operating a/c system will freeze the evaporator up. When this happens the a/c cycling switches will interupt the circuit for the compressor coil and keep the compressor from functioning until the pressures fall back into a normal level (although they should prevent freeze up, the right circumstances will still let the evaporator freeze.) When the evaporator starts to unthaw some of the water/frost can blow a foggy like air out the vents. Low side pressures for a r134a can vary, low side of 48 isn't showing anything "wrong," with the right ambient temp. One thing you can do is check pressure w/ vehicle at 1500rpm's. Also check the refrigerant pressure with the a/c off, w/ the vehicle relatively cool the pressure on either high or low side should be (Ambient x 2 +30.) I can't tell from your post but a compressor shouldn't bog the motor down a whole lot, I mean it creates a load and the idle will change... You kind of make it sound like it almost makes your engine stall. Now the clutch on the compressor could be going bad, if this is the case the face (clutch) will not turn engine rpm when the coil is engaged, you can check to see if the coil is trying to engage the clutch by checking the power at the coil or simply, carefully, trying to touch a screwdriver or something to the face, if it draws towards the face the shows the coil is on since it magnetically pulls the clutch in. I'll be glad to help you out as best a can through the internet, I work on a/c on a regular basis, so hopefully I can atleast help you diag alittle better w/ some more info.
    Last edited by TrackReady; 06-11-2008 at 07:39 PM.
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

Well got everything fixed today.. I replaced the Expansion Valve then had the system tested for pulling a suction and it failed. Come to find out you really need to change the o-rings on any joint you open. I did find one was chewed up a bit. But I replaced them all and retested this morning with no problems. Then charged it and everything now is working great.. I also found out you can put a filter in the blower system to help remove nasty crap. A Standard filter from O'Reillys works. Part # GA33472.

Thanks for all the input.
    Travis