Serious Electrical Problem I Need Help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Serious Electrical Problem I Need Help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone, Well I just picked up an 02 wrx a few days ago. when I bought it the speedo ...

Exclamation Serious Electrical Problem I Need Help

Hi everyone,

Well I just picked up an 02 wrx a few days ago.
    when I bought it the speedo wasn't working and it was throwing a p0500 cel. I replaced the speed sensor and also traced it to a broken wire form the ECU because this tard tapped the speed sensor wire for an HKS turbo timer type-1 (I soldered it back together). Needless to say I was still having a serious issue. The backup lights worked for all of 2 seconds one day then blew the fuse, as soon as the backup light fuse blows my speedo goes to 0 MPH and wont move as well as MY headlights wont work and If I try to turn on the headlights with the blown backup light fuse the ABS light goes on and the headlights don't even come on (the daytime running stay on though)... and then the ECU spits out a p0500 cell again!!??!! So I replaced the backup light fuse again and all of a sudden I have a working speedo/headlights/abs again!!??!! So today I went for a long 200 mile drive and all was working good until I was about to head home, after switching into gear (2nd or 3rd I think) the backup light fuse blew again and poof no speedo/headlights/ABS. I replaced the fuse and turned on the car and it blew again I did this 2 more times, then I put the car into reverse a few times and put it through the gears with the car off and replaced the fuse. After that the fuse was fine and I have a speedo and whatnot again!!??!! With the fuse in I do not have backup lights though and this is whats throwing me off, and if I remove the fuse the speedo and everything else mentioned die. From what I can tell is the backup light is completing a circuit but for more then just the backup light.
    I am stumped right now can anyone give me some incite without saying take it to a mechanic... cuz thats not helpful

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are there any other splices in the harness by the ecu? If so I would undo all of them and solder them together.

I already did that yesterday and plugged in the ecu by itself, I also had the entire dash ripped apart! I think I have found the czuse of the problem!!!!!!
    So as a last ditch effort to try to trace the short I went under the car and traced the wires ot the backup light switch on the tranny and guess what... the 2 wires were broken off of it and my guess is when this guy whent and got the clutch replaces the ******* who did the job broke the wires! I can tell this because the wires were nicly tucked up in the wire loop
    So I believe the 2 wires would either touch eachother or maybe the tranny case? ...who knows? but eaither way I have to replace the switch, I tried to solder it for a temp fix but as soon as I went to screw it back in the wires broke again So tomorrow I will just call the stealership and get banged out again

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.