Is my Boost Gauge Reading correctly?

This is a discussion on Is my Boost Gauge Reading correctly? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just install Prosport Electrical Gauges and was wondering is the reading is right. I have 07 WRX, the picture ...

Question Is my Boost Gauge Reading correctly?

I just install Prosport Electrical Gauges and was wondering is the reading is right. I have 07 WRX, the picture below is when the car is in idle. Isn't suppose start in zero instead of -20? I believe all the wiring I install is correct. Anything wrong on using the supplied T?

When the car is on boost at about 4000 rpm in 3rd gear. It's only goes up to 5-7psi. I don't that is correct. What is wrong in my set up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    1) Read the directions for your gauge
    2)You skills of observation are the suck
    Notice how above 0 is measured in "psi" and under 0 is measured in "inHg" aka inches of mercury aka vacuum

Boost gauge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Donkey; 06-08-2008 at 05:36 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

wow... what a useful reply.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by wlit View Post
    wow... what a useful reply.
    Actually, yes, it was.

the picture below is when the car is in idle. Isn't suppose start in zero instead of -20? I believe all the wiring I install is correct. Anything wrong on using the supplied T?
    Do you know how an internal combustion engine works? A vacuum is created in the intake manifold which sucks air into the combustion chamber when the valve is opened. Therefore, yes your gauge is reading correctly since it is below 0 showing negative pressure, aka vacuum.

When the car is on boost at about 4000 rpm in 3rd gear. It's only goes up to 5-7psi. I don't that is correct. What is wrong in my set up?
    The boost is basically a function of how much you're on the throttle. You could be at 4000 rpm in 3rd hear and still be in vacuum if you're going downhill. In order to see your maximum boost, mash the throttle in 3rd gear and glance at the gauge. Also, know that your peak boost is just that, the peak. It will not stay there very long. So, see what the gauge reads under WOT in 3rd. If it still is not where it should be, and you are absolutely sure you installed it right, then you have a boost leak. Simple.

btw, I like that gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Actually, yes, it was.

Do you know how an internal combustion engine works? A vacuum is created in the intake manifold which sucks air into the combustion chamber when the valve is opened. Therefore, yes your gauge is reading correctly since it is below 0 showing negative pressure, aka vacuum.

The boost is basically a function of how much you're on the throttle. You could be at 4000 rpm in 3rd hear and still be in vacuum if you're going downhill. In order to see your maximum boost, mash the throttle in 3rd gear and glance at the gauge. Also, know that your peak boost is just that, the peak. It will not stay there very long. So, see what the gauge reads under WOT in 3rd. If it still is not where it should be, and you are absolutely sure you installed it right, then you have a boost leak. Simple.

btw, I like that gauge.
    Thank you, very helpful =D