Timing belt coming up

This is a discussion on Timing belt coming up within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all,my t-belt is about due...and I was going to start getting all the bit's and pieces...I found that gates ...

Timing belt coming up

Hey all,my t-belt is about due...and I was going to start getting all the bit's and pieces...I found that gates has a racing t-belt which I guess will not stretch as much under heavy loads..has anyone put one in? I didn't get a price to see how close to subarus price it is...and do they come with the correct alignment marks on them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHornz View Post
    Hey all,my t-belt is about due...and I was going to start getting all the bit's and pieces...I found that gates has a racing t-belt which I guess will not stretch as much under heavy loads..has anyone put one in? I didn't get a price to see how close to subarus price it is...and do they come with the correct alignment marks on them?
    Any aftermarket timing belt is going to be essentially the same. I guess the consensus is that Gates is better, but you gotta really do something wrong to break a kevlar belt like Power enterprises sells. STi also has a Group-N belt that is comparable in performance. I would also throw a new tensioner on there since some people have complained about some noise from a failed/damaged tensioner after doing this work.

Eh id stick with OEM, there hasnt been alot of reported issues with timing belts after cars have been modified. If your doing alot of power upgrades then yeah it would be a good idea, otherwise the OEM can handle it. Plus the racing belt may be louder.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    I would also throw a new tensioner on there since some people have complained about some noise from a failed/damaged tensioner after doing this work.
    A water pump couldnt hurt either, as tim said, its quite some work to get in there, the preventative maintainance could save alot of headaches.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

I Support ClubWRX
    I've heard of skipped teeth causing damage but I seem to remember that those were either after a collision or after 3leet tUnInG sessions etc. I think the Subaru belt works well mainly because I've not heard of problems or failures. Have there been any? I'm probably hiring someone to do mine at 105K (I'm not in the mood for a DIY on that for some reason) and I was thinking of insisting on OEM parts. Yes?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks guy's....kinda what I was figuring...I am kinda over thourough also...I plan on the tensioner,w-pump,t-stat,cam/crank seals,also some seepage from valve cover's,so new gasket's...since they will be off-spark plug's..and since that part of a tune up will be done-fuel and air filter's also....hmmm what's left....pretty much nothing...except for the air filter resonator removal