Whirring sound or whinning sound!! Help please

This is a discussion on Whirring sound or whinning sound!! Help please within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just got my tranny rebuilt.. I had to drive 650 miles after i got it rebuilt, the first ...

Whirring sound or whinning sound!! Help please

So I just got my tranny rebuilt.. I had to drive 650 miles after i got it rebuilt, the first 340 miles car drove perfectly fine and sounded great but once it hit like 400 miles i started hearing this whirring sound . The car drives great and gears slip in pretty good but I just dont know what that sound is? I have never heard it until recently and I know its the tranny i can literally hear the gears turning in the tranny and when I slow down I can hear them like if they were next to my ear? How can I stop this noise? Could it be that they rebuilt the tranny wrong or do I need defferent oil we used 80/90 tranny oil!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you made sure that your Tranny has the correct amount of oil?
    Do you know what oil is currently in the Tranny?
    Current:
    2005 Subaru WRX Impreza 2.0T Premium: 177.3wHP @ 5756rpm / 184.4wlb/ft @ 4101rpm (Stock)
    Engine: VF23 Turbo, TurboSmart DP BOV, Walbro Fuel Pump, STI TMIC, Resonator Box Mod, TEIN Front Strutbrace, Greddy Profec B-Spec II EBC, Injen CAI
    Exterior: STI Hood Scoop

Interior: Jax Dash V4, TRB Gear Knob
    Other Drives:

2006 VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline

it has 80/90 valvoline oil

Does it whir when in neutral? Does it do it when you put pressure on the stick toward any particular gear? It may be a bad synchro.

it does it only when its in 1st,2nd,3rd,4th & 5th gear not when I am in neutral. I can hear the gears when Im in neutral slowing down. I have heard ist normal but I just dont know?

I think you may be overly sensitive since you just had the tranny rebuild. If every gear does it and drives normally, then I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

straight cut gears possibly?

Straight cut gears are significantly louder and do make a whirring noise. All modern cars come equipped with helical cut gears. First and reverse are sometimes straight cut for strength.

what really is weird is the fact that my car never did it before and now its normal for my tranny to make the airplane noise... I guess i really dont mind it its just when i am slowing down and in neutral i can hear the crrk-crkkk -crkk gears slowing down..

That is exactly how my Evo tranny sounds in 1st when slowing down 'cause the synchro is shot. Kind of like the three stooges. Whooop whoop whoop whop. Seriously.

so I guess I can drive it without a problem right!! it drives great!