radiator fan gone by by
Closed Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

This is a discussion on radiator fan gone by by within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; SO for some reason, my radiator fan ( its the one that comes on when the AC does ) has ...

  1. #1
    Registered User idrum2loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    65

    radiator fan gone by by

    SO for some reason, my radiator fan ( its the one that comes on when the AC does ) has burnt up. Its hard to move, and it isn't working. Will it cost millions to get an OEM one, or will it be better to just get an auto zone one and slap it up there? Any idea where i counld get one other than the dealership? Thanks guys!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Micah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean Grove, NJ
    Posts
    4,142
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  4. #3
    Registered User idrum2loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    65
    So what CFM for the a/c side of the fans will i need to look for? Or just something over 1000 like usual?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  5. #4
    Geriatric Ginger Mod Rogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    behind the wheel
    Posts
    8,188
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd just get one from AutoZOne or Advance, like as close to stock diameter, as possible, and call it a day.
    I think they're flex-a-lite electric fans.

    SPAL are awesome, as well.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  6. #5
    Registered User idrum2loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    65
    Iam thinking that too. Even though i will loose some of the stock mounting points, but thats why god made zip ties for those hoses
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  7. #6
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,592
    I Support ClubWRX
    Just buy a used one for $75 from a salvage yard.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  8. #7
    Registered User idrum2loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    65
    as far as wiring goes...new fan has 2 wires...old one had 4...so do i only need to wire up the 2 hot wires or do i need to run a 2 into 1 set up? Anyone know what the other 2 wires going to the OEM fan do?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  9. #8
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,886
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by idrum2loud View Post
    as far as wiring goes...new fan has 2 wires...old one had 4...so do i only need to wire up the 2 hot wires or do i need to run a 2 into 1 set up? Anyone know what the other 2 wires going to the OEM fan do?
    Micah hath provided. In his signature in every post, there are links. Look at the link with the service manuals; the wiring for the entire car is contained within those links.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  10. #9
    Registered User idrum2loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    65
    The one in his link is for a 2002 i have a 2005. The fan wiring in the 02 manual shows a 3 prong fan...mine has 4.
    Last edited by idrum2loud; 05-31-2008 at 02:30 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  11. #10
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,592
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by idrum2loud View Post
    ahh aight.

    Oh and he who drifts goes through a corner faster than a regular driver...hence why drifting started..to gain more corner speed.
    Who in the heck taught you that?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  12. #11
    Registered User idrum2loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Who in the heck taught you that?
    I used to be a Option video nut and Keiichi Tsuchiya, who basically invited drifting, used "drifting" while racing in the japan GT class to improve track times. While drifting in the form most people see and hear of is mostly about angle and speed and "style", the basic and rudimentary form of drifting is basically allowing to car to travel faster around a corner. Now i guess he taught me that, but, if you would like to argue the theory, email him.

    Anyways, i cant find a service manual for the 05, and buying one right now isn't an option. Anyone happen to know what the other 2 wires on the 4 wire plug do? Black and blue are hooked up on the black and blue wire to the wiring plug, but the other two - green and blue..are just chilling. Any idea what they do or go or if there need would be great, thanks!
    Last edited by idrum2loud; 05-31-2008 at 02:44 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  13. #12
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,592
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by idrum2loud View Post
    I used to be a Option video nut and Keiichi Tsuchiya, who basically invited drifting, used "drifting" while racing in the japan GT class to improve track times. While drifting in the form most people see and hear of is mostly about angle and speed and "style", the basic and rudimentary form of drifting is basically allowing to car to travel faster around a corner. Now i guess he taught me that, but, if you would like to argue the theory, email him.
    No need to. Loss of forward bite = Slower lap times.

    Drifting was invented to impress crowds of teenage boys. You fell for propaganda.

    The fan has two sets of windings for hi/lo speeds. The stock fans perform very well. Why replace them with an inferior unit when a used fan can be had for $75?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  14. #13
    Registered User idrum2loud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    No need to. Loss of forward bite = Slower lap times.

    Drifting was invented to impress crowds of teenage boys. You fell for propaganda.

    The fan has two sets of windings for hi/lo speeds. The stock fans perform very well. Why replace them with an inferior unit when a used fan can be had for $75?
    No junkyards near me that have newer cars that have fans...and i got a nice fan from pep boys that has plenty of power for $60. I guess i will wire it for high speed oh well.

    Loss of forward bite? Drifting is over steer...loss of forward bite = understeer....

    Your just a drift hater man, it defiantly has its uses in performance driving and racing. All cars drift to a minimal when cornering fast. If you watch and pay attention at GT class racing on SPEED...they do on some corners. I have been in a spec class E30 on a race track going about 180 and taking corners REALLY fast....you can feel oversteer. Oversteer is the key term that distinguish's the driving form from drifting. Iam not a teenageer, nor did i fall for anything. Outside of being fun as hell Drifting made me a better driver, and just because you cant nor have the open mindness to accept the form of driving, doesnt mean you have to unleash false information on forums and try and joke on people who enjoy it. The joke is on you my friend. Thanks for the help though!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  15. #14
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,592
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by idrum2loud View Post
    No junkyards near me that have newer cars that have fans...and i got a nice fan from pep boys that has plenty of power for $60. I guess i will wire it for high speed oh well.

    Loss of forward bite? Drifting is over steer...loss of forward bite = understeer....

    Your just a drift hater man, it defiantly has its uses in performance driving and racing. All cars drift to a minimal when cornering fast. If you watch and pay attention at GT class racing on SPEED...they do on some corners. I have been in a spec class E30 on a race track going about 180 and taking corners REALLY fast....you can feel oversteer. Oversteer is the key term that distinguish's the driving form from drifting. Iam not a teenageer, nor did i fall for anything. Outside of being fun as hell Drifting made me a better driver, and just because you cant nor have the open mindness to accept the form of driving, doesnt mean you have to unleash false information on forums and try and joke on people who enjoy it. The joke is on you my friend. Thanks for the help though!
    Your 21, so your still a kid to me. I'm sure you feel in love with drifting watching it on TV as a teenager which means the propaganda worked.

    I'm a racer not a drifter. Drift our car around our track and you'll get lapped by lap three. Learn something before you spout off son.

    Overstear - Loose
    Understear - Push/Tight (pushing/sliding the front wheels
    Loss of forward bite - spinning the rear tires. When you spin the rear tires, you aren't accelerating as hard as the car next to you who is hooked up, and you're getting passed. The is why there is no drifting in drag racing. Spinning the tires gives you slower acceleration/less speed.

    We build and race these. 650hp, 2610 lbs, and we do anything possible to keep the hooked up, so keep telling me about racing terminology, and how to go fast Tiger.





    Now about your fan, if or when you decide to fix it correctly, simply go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, pick a salvage yard, and order your fan.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •