IC Sprayer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on IC Sprayer. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just noticed that my IC Sprayer doesn seem to be working. I hear the pump go, but no liquid ...

IC Sprayer.

I just noticed that my IC Sprayer doesn seem to be working.

I hear the pump go, but no liquid reaches the intercooler. I dont think its a clogged sprayer but more of a split line. Where does the line run?

Where can i find a diagram of the IC Sprayer setup...

Any help or comments would be appreciated...
    Last edited by ooWRXoo; 05-30-2008 at 08:00 AM.
    Black 2004 WRX STi - BlobEye Syndicate #200
    "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no EVO."
    I'm always looking for Subaru fanatics in the greater Montreal area. If your close, send me a pm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ooWRXoo View Post
    I just noticed that my IC Sprayer doesn seem to be working.

I hear the pump go, but no liquid reaches the intercooler. I dont think its a clogged sprayer but more of a split line. Where does the line run?

Where can i find a diagram of the IC Sprayer setup...

Any help or comments would be appreciated...
    I forget which side the line runs on, but to access it you have to pull your back seat out anyway. I would start there, there's a couple of 12MM bolts near the footwell to remove the bottom cushion and from there it becomes abundantly obvious how to get the rest of the seat out.

What I would do first is have someone hold down the spray button while you look to see if the water level in the tank lowers if it does then its probably the line and do what Tim said but if the level does not move then the nozzle is clogged I see this on almost a daily basis and that method seems to work for me.

Just trying to save you time and effort good luck

well i know the water doesnt make it to the nozzle, when i hit the button several times, i can see water leaking out from under the front drivers side of the car, however, i can find the line down there... im hoping it just a split line down there that i can patch up... ill look into it more this weekend. i tend to stay at work late to miss the traffic, only problem is i make it home around dark so working on the car then isnt preferable... ill check it out saturday afternoon and let you guys know how it goes...

Tim, where does the line run after its passed under the rear bench?

is there a drawing in a manual that shows how all of this is rigged up??
    Last edited by ooWRXoo; 05-30-2008 at 08:00 AM.
    I'm always looking for Subaru fanatics in the greater Montreal area. If your close, send me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by ooWRXoo View Post

Tim, where does the line run after its passed under the rear bench?

is there a drawing in a manual that shows how all of this is rigged up??
    Not sure about where it goes...I would imagine it goes under the carpet through the cabin but I'm not sure where it comes out in the engine bay...haven't ever really needed to pull one apart. As far as finding a drawing, yeah, I'm sure it's in the STi service manual somewhere but I can't provide that...you'd have to either find someone to hook you up with a copy or buy a subscription off Mysubaru.com Most websites/forums are really picky about people providing free access to that stuff because it's copyrighted.

~Tim

Did this happen recently? I wonder if freezing conditions earlier in the year could cause the line to split...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

well i purchased the car at the begining of april... im under the assumption that you replace the water with something like windshield washer fluid? for cold winters so the frozen water doesnt split the line...

but i mean, its already split... id like to fix it before winter comes...
    ill look around and let you guys know what i come up with... its going to be a busy week, so it will propably have to wait until the weekend.

When should a person use the I/C Spray button?
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post
    While driving, one or two shots about 1 min. and another couple of shots about 30 sec. before you you think you need the IC as cool as it's going to get... To keep heat soak at bay, A shot just before stopping/parking and a shot just as you start up the car will keep heat soak down, that is the way mine works the best if you want to keep IC as cool as it can be. You don't really need to use it while on the highway as the IC will be cooled down enough, same while at WOT...You need to spray before not during, that's too late.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Quote Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post
    Any time, really. I hit it whenever I come to a stop every time I drive...sort of a neurotic habit. Cooler IC and intake temps are never a bad thing, using it more often probably doesn't do a whole heck of a lot but as long as you don't mind refilling it more frequently just hit it whenever the urge strikes you.

Strictly speaking, it's designed to be pressed right before a hard pull or in the middle of a high gear pull (like 4th or 5th) where you're going to be really pushing the turbo hard.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650
    Any time, really. I hit it whenever I come to a stop every time I drive...sort of a neurotic habit. Cooler IC and intake temps are never a bad thing, using it more often probably doesn't do a whole heck of a lot but as long as you don't mind refilling it more frequently just hit it whenever the urge strikes you.

Strictly speaking, it's designed to be pressed right before a hard pull or in the middle of a high gear pull (like 4th or 5th) where you're going to be really pushing the turbo hard.
    +1

I won't hit it if it's 50° or lower coming to a stop, but anytime between mid-Spring to mid-Fall, at most stops I'm first in line for (where I can open it up to 5-6k RPMs between shifts), I'll hit it.
    Last edited by EJ257; 06-06-2008 at 08:19 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Hitting the spray button just before a WOT run is too late to get the benefit of the water spray... It takes about 1 min. to 30 sec. to cool the IC down and most runs are over in less than 15 sec...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    Hitting the spray button just before a WOT run is too late to get the benefit of the water spray... It takes about 1 min. to 30 sec. to cool the IC down and most runs are over in less than 15 sec...
    True story...these guys have some good info on IC spraying:

Browser Warning

That being said....the best I can do without a bunch of expensive thermocouples is just give it a push right before or right after I go WOT...short of doing a full intelligent system, I'll just hit it "whenever" and hope it's doing something worthwhile.

Edit: I don't know why that link always shows up as "browser warning" but it's just a link to a site that sells parts for an intelligent IC sprayer that anticipates when you will need a cooler IC and uses several integrated sensors to spray the IC before you get on the gas so it's cold when you need it to be.

I would have beaten that Mazdaspeed3, but I missed the IC Spray...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

great info tim. is there information in the manual on where to refil the water holder? or someone can post a quick pic. Ill have to check my levels.
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast