Gasoline - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Gasoline within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I own a 2006 WRX limited wagon. I commute 120 miles when I do go to work which is usually ...

87 Octane

I own a 2006 WRX limited wagon. I commute 120 miles when I do go to work which is usually 4 times a week. I recently started using 87 octane which contains up to 10% ethanol. This was after always using 92 octane for 42,000 miles. If you live in the Chicago/Milwaukee area you've been living with this wretched gas for well over 10 years. Don't even get me started on the politics of this and all boutique gas blends, thats for another forum. With 92 octane I was averaging a little over 25 mpg. I'm still averaging very close to that, within 1-2 mpg. I can't say for sure if it really has any mileage effect since construction to Chicago changes daily. I can say that I have never heard any pinging and here's why.

Most all newer engines (within the last 10 years) have knock sensors that actually "listen" to the engine frequency. It is located below the throttle body, near the tranny. It bolts to the block. Knocking will produce a specific frequency that when detected by the knock sensor it sends an electric signal to the ECU/ECM to adjust timing. So fear not your WRX is smarter than you think. Run a tank of lower octane and see for yourself. One tank will not damage your engine. If you want more proof research "subaru knock sensor" they're about $80.

My father is a retired engineer who worked for Mobile. He always told me that there isn't an engine built these days that can't run fine on low octane gas, even with the junk corn in it. He also says that there are enough detergents in any blend of gas you can get to keep an engine clean. So don't buy into the cleaner higher priced gas, it's a lie.

If it's all about performance for you then use the higher octane gas. After all if you do the math it's not a huge difference. My tank holds 15.2 gallons and if 87 octane is $4 and 92 octane is $4.20 then the the difference between a full tank is $3.04.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    What?
    you get gas a $1/gallon then somehow it becomes 4x as expensive as it makes its way over here....

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    you get gas a $1/gallon then somehow it becomes 4x as expensive as it makes its way over here....
    I'm saying the Saudis get theirs under $1 a gallon. Truth be told we're not actually running out of oil...the whole "gas crisis" is based on speculation and political turmoil. The laws of supply and demand are being artificially influenced by forces outside the closed consumer/supplier system. Sure, our oil resources are being reduced, but we're not in any danger of actually running out of oil within the next 150-200 years. The Saudis basically get their oil at cost because it's coming out of their back yard, hence why their price is so much lower than ours. Also, their government doesn't tax their gasoline the way ours does, so they pay less to "the man" than we are.

I'm saying the Saudis get theirs under $1 a gallon. Truth be told we're not actually running out of oil...the whole "gas crisis" is based on speculation and political turmoil. The laws of supply and demand are being artificially influenced by forces outside the closed consumer/supplier system. Sure, our oil resources are being reduced, but we're not in any danger of actually running out of oil within the next 150-200 years. The Saudis basically get their oil at cost because it's coming out of their back yard, hence why their price is so much lower than ours. Also, their government doesn't tax their gasoline the way ours does, so they pay less to "the man" than we are.
    doesn't it seem ludicrous though, that it costs $3 per gallon in shipment and tax to get it over to us????

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    doesn't it seem ludicrous though, that it costs $3 per gallon in shipment and tax to get it over to us????
    That $3 is so much more than shipment and tax. Yes it is ludicrous what we pay compared to them but you have stock market speculation, cost of infrastructure, and political turmoil to thank for the high price of gasoline.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    To further this point... Louisianna is looking at eliminating sales tax in the state. Over 75% of all oil shipped inside the US comes through the port of New Orleans. They have such a huge budget surplus from the oil coming through (they are the only state with a surplus this year) - they are looking at how to spend it. Your $4/gallon of gas will be paying for many state-funded programs and tax reductions in the great state of Louisianna.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Truth be told...oil is a non-renewable natural resource so we are running out. However, we're in no danger of that happening for thousands of years based on projected consumption and satellite oil reservoir mapping. We have billions of barrels of untapped oil in ANWR (10.4 billion est. but could be much more) and off the coast of CA. It's in our backyard, drill it I say, the moose, bears and dolphins will be fine.

I agree that a lot of the problems stem from government bureaucracies but think about this. Image all the people of third world countries that now have access to and can actually use small vehicles that use gas. It's growing exponentially. Some guy in China can now buy a cheap small heap-O-crap car or motorcycle and use it on all the new roads that were never previously there. Demand for oil is huge and growing daily. The free market IS dictating the price and there's nothing we can do but build more refineries, drill, and pursue alternative fuels in the mean time.
    Last edited by subyman34; 06-06-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12