Wierd Problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wierd Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 02 Rex with a intake exhaust and bov. When I drive and come to a stop my ...

Wierd Problem

I have a 02 Rex with a intake exhaust and bov. When I drive and come to a stop my rpm drops down to almost 0 and my car jus dies. I was hoping someone can tell me what the problem is and how to fix it. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 2004R6 View Post
    I have a 02 Rex with a intake exhaust and bov. When I drive and come to a stop my rpm drops down to almost 0 and my car jus dies. I was hoping someone can tell me what the problem is and how to fix it. Thanks.
    Welcome. Put your car back to stock. See if the problem still exists. Consider it troubleshooting completed.

Links in sig for you.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Welcome. Put your car back to stock. See if the problem still exists. Consider it troubleshooting completed.

Links in sig for you.
    +1, its probably your mods without a tune thats messing your ride up. Especailly that intake and bov, exhaust not so much. You'll probably want to read all the stickys on here as far as what to mod before you buy stuff. I did the same mistake but put it back to stock and it fixed everything before I broke anything. My advice is go with EM, oh and go back to stock.
    Infantrymen dont die, they go to hell and re-group

http://noktrnal.myminicity.com/ind

I no longer have the original parts

You might want to think of either selling those or trading or just buying them. Cause its probably goinng to stay the same untill you fix it.
    Infantrymen dont die, they go to hell and re-group

http://noktrnal.myminicity.com/ind

Sell the parts and buy the stock parts.
    1) Your stock airbox already supplies more air than the engine can use so your new intake is costing you power and introducing possible MAF issues and
    2) BOVs are bad and cause problems unless your car has been highly modified and tuned to support one.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Sell the parts and buy the stock parts.
    1) Your stock airbox already supplies more air than the engine can use so your new intake is costing you power and introducing possible MAF issues and
    2) BOVs are bad and cause problems unless your car has been highly modified and tuned to support one.

+1 bov do help if you are tuned for one, if not they disturb the air/fuel ratio during shifts and at idle, sometimes. if ur tuned for one it will help with keeping ur turbo spooled up during shifts.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Quote Originally Posted by 2004R6 View Post
    Push in the clutch? Just a thought, LOL! Just kidding bro.

I once had a '90 Plymouth Laser, and it used to die when I came to a stop...the engine ended up blowing a head gasket, but the car was a POS from the jump...

I am sure the other responses are correct, return your car to stock first...good luck!

Signed,
    Guy who doesnt know poop about how to fix your problem, lol.
    07 STi-Mostly Stock
    91 Honda Civic DX-Hella Stock

"Screw chicks tonight bro, I just gotta race!"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RobThieveZ510 View Post
    I once had a '90 Plymouth Laser, and it used to die when I came to a stop...
    On DSMs idle speed control is actuated by a stepper motor. The ECU cannot know what "step" the motor is on, so when the stepper solenoid fails the ECU just keeps on sending a "move xxx steps" signal to no avail. There are other reasons they won't idle, but in the long run, as you've probably concluded (I certainly did with mine...) the car was doing you a favour...)

but the car was a POS from the jump...
    Been there, done that, agree! They're great on paper though and when they do run they're terrific cars for their time period.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yea, if it had been brand new...it might have been better, but it had a few miles on it...like 120k I think...got it in '97...

It sure did grab alot of attention at the midnight races though, especially since I had an intake on it...sounded nice and throaty, but it was all show and no go, lol.
    07 STi-Mostly Stock
    91 Honda Civic DX-Hella Stock

"Screw chicks tonight bro, I just gotta race!"

remove intake!!!! thats what i had to do! it lowered my rpms to low and sometimes it would stall.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Thanks guys..ima have to look around for the parts but i'll keep yall posted...
    .Thanks again...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.