boosting
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on boosting within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys i just got a 05 sti and i wanted to know if its safe to put in a ...

boosting

hey guys i just got a 05 sti and i wanted to know if its safe to put in a perrin manual boost controller and boost more with the stock turbo?!?! and another question.. someone already was talkin about the wastegate fluttering..can someone explain step by step on how to tighten/loosen the arm kus i've been reading about it and i dont know what 10mm im supposed to take out?!? i just have a straight rod/shaft no lock nut!?!?
    Last edited by STi8o8; 05-26-2008 at 03:43 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by STi8o8 View Post
    hey guys i just got a 05 sti and i wanted to know if its safe to put in a perrin manual boost controller and boost more with the stock turbo?!?! and another question.. someone already was talkin about the wastegate fluttering..can someone explain step by step on how to tighten/loosen the arm kus i've been reading about it and i dont know what 10mm im supposed to take out?!? any one!?!?
    if you get a boost controller. you your self can not just turn the boost up. with out adjusting ur fuel ratio. you will need a open source tune, or some kind of engine management. like the cobb accessport. as for the wastegat arm, wat r you boosting at in third gear at full throttle?
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

i think like 14 maybe 14.5........

i think like 14 maybe 14.5........
    if im correct i believe that is the stock boost for the sti, if not its close to it. the wrx stock boost is 13.5. so there is no need for you to adjust the waste gate arm, try full throttle above 3500 rpms in 4 gear seee wat you get be safe....if you get a mbc just dont turn it up with out a tune you will run to lean and burn ur pistons... ruin ur motor..
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

ok so i dont know much yet about my car but all i got is a cobb downpipe and straight pipe no cat exhaust, short ram intake and dats it..im running about a 13.72 at 100.8 mph..is this good? would i need to just tune my car with the cobb accessport everytime i put in a new part or one time thing?

ok so i dont know much yet about my car but all i got is a cobb downpipe and straight pipe no cat exhaust, short ram intake and dats it..im running about a 13.72 at 100.8 mph..is this good? would i need to just tune my car with the cobb accessport everytime i put in a new part or one time thing?
    THE COBB ACTUALLY HAS maps downloaded on it. you just have to load it on ur ecu. this will make you a stage 2 since u already have a dp and a full exhaust. all you need is a tune. i dont know wat the sti map stage two will put you at psi wise but maybe 17 psi. i just loaded my cobb stage 2 on my 05 wrx not sti and i just ran a 13.66 1/4 mile which is great for the cobb ots map.

i dont have a cobb accessport thing though... is there another waY!?!? or i need that item!?

i dont have a cobb accessport thing though... is there another waY!?!? or i need that item!?
    you have the cobb accessport with it loaded on ur car and installd on ur car?

i dont think so...i dont have that small accessPORT device.

i dont think so...i dont have that small accessPORT device.
    that would be ur engine managment, you need to buy. or find a all wheel drive tuning shop near you that will do an opensource tunning method. i went with the cobb its a great device which can be protuned, and it show alot of ur engine's read out like intake temp. water temp. boost pressure, air fuel ratio.

ok thanks man..learn something new everyday!

All these mods on an 05 without EM?
    Plus you want to turn up the boost via a MBC?? I think you need to consult with a professional tuner over there in Hawaii and get you pointed in the right direction.
    Last edited by WRX_Fan_0717; 05-26-2008 at 06:45 AM.
    WRB, Tial gated 20'gd, PPG reppin Bugeye FTW !

Your new member To Do list:

-Go on cobb's site. Give them a call. Learn all you can about what it is you actually have there. Reading the product info will answer a lot of your questions. CobbTuning.com - Home Page

-Read the stickies in this forum about tuning/engine modifications. There are TONS of threads here about how to modify an STi.

-Cruise over to Nasioc.com and read some of their FAQ's about modifying your engine.

-Find some local subie owners in the local forums here and on Nasioc and meet up with them. Learn from them about what you should be doing, how to mod your car

-DO NOT beat on your car or take it to the strip until you have done this. This list should take you about 2 weeks to finish up. There is a lot of info out there that you need to get caught up on. Think of it like studying for a really major test...if you "pass" then your car won't blow up. If you don't study enough, you'll pop your motor or be disappointed with your car's performance.

As for tightening the wastegate arm...two things:

1) You are not ready to be screwing around with something like that. It's a pretty fast track to a blown motor if you don't know exactly what you're doing and what you need to watch out for.

2) You can't even do it on the turbo you have on there. IHI VF39 is the stock 05 STi turbo...does not have an adjustable wastegate arm.

wastegate flutter

ok... so dat flutter sound, is there a way i can make it louder with my stock turbo?! so i would hear da flutter wen shifting like 3-4 grand..

ok... so dat flutter sound, is there a way i can make it louder with my stock turbo?! so i would hear da flutter wen shifting like 3-4 grand..
    Are you Serious?
    WRB, Tial gated 20'gd, PPG reppin Bugeye FTW !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.