Ticking under acceleration

This is a discussion on Ticking under acceleration within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently bought a 04 WRX with 74,000 miles on it. The car is great and I love it. It ...

Ticking under acceleration

I recently bought a 04 WRX with 74,000 miles on it. The car is great and I love it. It seems that I get a ticking noise from under the hood on the drivers side of the vehicle. It's not loud but it's noticeable. The tick will increase as the RPMs increase but it disappears when the car is in neutral. Is this normal for a WRX or is it something that i should get checked out? What are some possibilities that could be causing this? FWIW the previous owner took great care of the car, it was never beat on or run hard. Any help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FCPremixx View Post
    I recently bought a 04 WRX with 74,000 miles on it. The car is great and I love it. It seems that I get a ticking noise from under the hood on the drivers side of the vehicle. It's not loud but it's noticeable. The tick will increase as the RPMs increase but it disappears when the car is in neutral. Is this normal for a WRX or is it something that i should get checked out? What are some possibilities that could be causing this? FWIW the previous owner took great care of the car, it was never beat on or run hard. Any help would be great.
    there is a lot of things that could cause a ticking noise, it could be the sound of an injector, and electrical arcing problem, an exhaust, header, or uppipe or dp leak, drivers side so that kinda of eliminates the dp an uppipe, but the drivers side header could be, go under the hood with the engine running then rev it up see if you can hear the clicking as the engine goes up in rpms if not and only when ur in gear, it could be the clicking of ur clutch slipping.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

I have the same noise, sounds like its comming from the heads, which worrys me but I dont have any power loss. So I dont know what it is. Valves maybe???

Quote Originally Posted by Noktrnal1 View Post
    I have the same noise, sounds like its comming from the heads, which worrys me but I dont have any power loss. So I dont know what it is. Valves maybe???
    i know you live in cali. same hear so ur choice of gas is limited, make sure to use 91 and also try a octane booster, see if the knocking goes away at all. do you have a tune at all, is the ticking happening all the time, or during the hotest part of the day, only when it;s cold , or wat?
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    i know you live in cali. same hear so ur choice of gas is limited, make sure to use 91 and also try a octane booster, see if the knocking goes away at all. do you have a tune at all, is the ticking happening all the time, or during the hotest part of the day, only when it;s cold , or wat?
    All I use is 91, either chevron or Shell. The ticking is pretty much almost all the time, it goes away when I pick up speed. but when its idle and im starting to take off I can hear it. I'll try octane booster see if it goes away, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noktrnal1 View Post
    All I use is 91, either chevron or Shell. The ticking is pretty much almost all the time, it goes away when I pick up speed. but when its idle and im starting to take off I can hear it. I'll try octane booster see if it goes away, but I doubt it.
    is it a clicking like a valve metal on metal or like an arc or electicity.

sounds like metal on metal. Im guessing it might be a spacer, or something else in there. Dont know what, but Im sure it wont be pretty once I find out or cheap.

Definitly metal on metal. More than likely due to loss of oil on the part. It could be a stuck valve, rocker or lifter stuck. I had the exact same thing happen on my eclipse. Sadly my outcome wasn't so pleasant. Had a spun bearing (had just had the engine rebuilt 2000 miles prior.... not too happy with the mechanic.).

How long has it been going on? does your oil light come on at lower RPM's specifically when your idle?

Well I figured out what my ticking was. There were some wires for an amp run through the fire wall and whoever did it forgot to put the rubber grommet back in. I cant believe that much noise was coming through such a small hole by my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by FCPremixx View Post
    Well I figured out what my ticking was. There were some wires for an amp run through the fire wall and whoever did it forgot to put the rubber grommet back in. I cant believe that much noise was coming through such a small hole by my feet.
    It's funny you say that. I have that exact same problem in the exact same location and it started after I had amp wire run lol. I think they cut a fair amount of that batting material out of the way and yeah, the grommet is loose.

Same sound a kind of whirring ticking noise that is very audible with the windows up. Gotta plug it up down there or something.