WRX ALL Cylinders missfiring?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX ALL Cylinders missfiring? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently purchased an 04 wrx through an auction. The car is completely stock and has 60,000 miles. The engine ...

WRX ALL Cylinders missfiring?

I recently purchased an 04 wrx through an auction. The car is completely stock and has 60,000 miles. The engine is missfiring very badly. At idle the engine shakes side to side on the mount, wont rev past 4500, and has very little power. The turbo sounds like its spooling just fine, but i dont have a boost guage so i dont really know.

After running a diagnostic i found that all 4 cylinders are missfiring. The mechanic that ran the diagnostic told me that i need to replace all the coils and spark plugs.

I ask this, does it seem likely that all the coils would be bad? What are the chances that they would all of them would fail at the same time? Has anyone ever had an issue like tis before? I have heard of one or two cylinder misfires but all 4?

Also, after inspecting the engine i noticed there is a thin metal braided wire that is routed underneath the intake and ends somewhere near the turbo. It is unplugged and i cant seem to figure out where it is supposed to be plugged into. Any ideas?

I would really appreciate any tips. I dont want to spend $400 on parts i really dont need. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    check plugs first..
    the braided wire is a ground, and should have a ring terminal on one end?

where's the other end connected?
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

its doesnt have a ring its a 2 prong plug. Im not sure where the other end goes somewhere under the engine its hard to see.

I Support ClubWRX
    picture, please
    Rogan o_0

Quote Originally Posted by orion3 View Post
    I recently purchased an 04 wrx through an auction. The car is completely stock and has 60,000 miles. The engine is missfiring very badly. At idle the engine shakes side to side on the mount, wont rev past 4500, and has very little power. The turbo sounds like its spooling just fine, but i dont have a boost guage so i dont really know.

After running a diagnostic i found that all 4 cylinders are missfiring. The mechanic that ran the diagnostic told me that i need to replace all the coils and spark plugs.

I ask this, does it seem likely that all the coils would be bad? What are the chances that they would all of them would fail at the same time? Has anyone ever had an issue like tis before? I have heard of one or two cylinder misfires but all 4?

Also, after inspecting the engine i noticed there is a thin metal braided wire that is routed underneath the intake and ends somewhere near the turbo. It is unplugged and i cant seem to figure out where it is supposed to be plugged into. Any ideas?

I would really appreciate any tips. I dont want to spend $400 on parts i really dont need. Thanks
    The car is in LIMP mode. With only Misfire CEL i say its your MAF.
    The side to side motion and Misfires on all four is classic MAF syptoms.

Try cleaning the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner. Remember the MAF itself it closer to the base or down the tunnel is you will. The exposed wires on the bottom is the IAT sensor would could use some spraying too.

Try cleaning it first. Then come back. Always start cheap then work your way up.

The possibility of all four coils being out is next to impossible. Other than the car has electrical problems.

Also the line is more than likely a EGT temp line. Is it really skinny?
    Last edited by WRX_Fan_0717; 05-26-2008 at 05:56 AM.
    WRB, Tial gated 20'gd, PPG reppin Bugeye FTW !

Why was the car at auction? A bunch of vacuum leaks would cause misfires and rough/shaky idle....if the car was hit anywhere near the front you might have popped some hoses off.

Ok i have some pics to upload.

Here are some pics of that wire i was talking about, i have looked all over to see where it plugs into but i cant figure it out. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it.

I purchased some MAF cleaner and cleaned the MAF sensor, it was prety dirty but after resetting the ECU the car performed the same.

After examining the harnesses over near the pasenger side strut i noticed there are clear modifications to one of the wires.

There are grey wires spliced in to factory wires. These grey wires go down directly below below to another harness with a blue plug, i have a pic of it.

The rest of the plugs on the harness are all being used so i guess the plug was removed and replaced with these grey wires.

What purpose do you think these wires serve? could it be my problem?

The first one that has a kind of metal casing on it looks like an EGT sensor. The rest of the pictures are too close up, I have no idea where in the engine bay you're at...there's nothing to reference against for a location.

all of the pics are taken on the passenger side near the strut

I Support ClubWRX
    GM BCS, maybe, Tim? Kinda looks like it.. sorta..
    Rogan o_0

Definitly retake some pictures where we can get some type of positioning of where everything is at.

I almost positive the first one is the stock EGT Sensor.
    Hopefully he put a resistor in there. Otherwise, it will kick a CEL and throw the car in limp mode. The OE connector should be right where the first picture is showing. If i am getting the possitioning right.

Anyway the second thing that looks to "added" to me looks like a GM Boost Control Solenoid with GM pigtail and connector. But, from the pic i can't see any vac hoses coming off of it.
    There should be three ports on it.

I am not positive but the grey wiring looks like the GMBCS.
    So if it is you must have some sort of EM or you would be way overboosting.

Check under your passenger side carpet. Does it look raised by any chance?? (a hunch)

Also, where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    GM BCS, maybe, Tim? Kinda looks like it.. sorta..
    Darn it beat me to it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX_Fan_0717 View Post
    Definitly retake some pictures where we can get some type of positioning of where everything is at.

I almost positive the first one is the stock EGT Sensor.
    Hopefully he put a resistor in there. Otherwise, it will kick a CEL and throw the car in limp mode. The OE connector should be right where the first picture is showing. If i am getting the possitioning right.
    I don't have a resistor in my MY02, as I've removed my EGT sensor, and have no CELs. I think I turned it off in RomRaider, though

Check under your passenger side carpet. Does it look raised by any chance?? (a hunch)

Also, where are you located?
    Could be OpenSource, as well, thereby no access to the ecu hardware needed
    Rogan o_0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.