Help with oil and hose...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help with oil and hose... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 WRX with 70k miles on it, i was wondering what kind of oil i should go ...

Help with oil and hose...

I have an 02 WRX with 70k miles on it, i was wondering what kind of oil i should go with. Synthetic or not? I have been told that the normal oil is now 50 percent sythetic so it doesnt really matter. And if i were to go with synthetic, what are the benefits?

Also I found that this hose has a crack on the bottom where it meets the pipe, it seems like it still works but its not very snug and might be leaking, i wiped off some brownish blackish crap before i took the pic. Im wondering what the hose and pipe do, and if i should immediately get it fixed..

Thanks
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P
    2008 hatch - Perrin stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic at 15k miles. Once you switch to synthetic you should try to stick to it. Regular oil is sufficient if you change it regularly, but if I were in your shoes I would switch.

That hose is a vacuum line. I forget exactly what it connects, but its nothing to worry about, just make sure its snug!
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Definitely not M1 or RP.

The stuff is water. I had bad UOA from RP.

Plus, Scooby bearings and M1 just don't get along. 90% of the spun bearings were due to oil starvation. The boxer engine seems to drink M1 like nothing. (most do)
    I used to go through 2 quarts of make-up oil every 5k miles.

I switched to Rotella-T 5w-40 and use no make up oil at all for 6k miles. Plus, have received countless good UOA from it.

I would highly recommend at least a hearty 40w. 0w-40 or 5-w40.
    The only 30w i would use is the German Castrol period.

Rotella T is 18 dollars at walmart for a gallon.

At work and can't see the pic, i'll check it out when i get home.
    WRB, Tial gated 20'gd, PPG reppin Bugeye FTW !

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX_Fan_0717 View Post
    I switched to Rotella-T 5w-40 and use no make up oil at all for 6k miles. Plus, have received countless good UOA from it.
    Rotella is fine but M1 5W-40 is (as you know...) not water and it does yield excellent UOAs without the need for topping off. The 0W-40 works fine as well if one really wants a 40W. There's that 10W-40 too but I've not tried it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I use Mobil 1 and change between 4k and 5k miles typically. I check my oil whenever I fill up. I have never needed to add oil between fills.

A lot of members here use M1 and I was unaware of any complaints with it.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

You're gonna get 10000000000000 answers when you ask what oil to use. If you drive the car aggressively and want medium length oil change intervals, a good quality synthetic will probably suit you well. Notable examples are Mobil1, Red Line (what I use, 5w30), and Castrol Syntec.

If you drive the car like your granny and are willing to change the oil every 3500 miles on the dot, then a regular 5w30 dino oil is fine and will be much cheaper. You can get it all at the dealership including an OEM filter and crush washer (you must replace these every oil change!) for like 20 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Rotella is fine but M1 5W-40 is (as you know...) not water and it does yield excellent UOAs without the need for topping off. The 0W-40 works fine as well if one really wants a 40W. There's that 10W-40 too but I've not tried it.
    Concur.
    WRB, Tial gated 20'gd, PPG reppin Bugeye FTW !

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.