Help: 2006 spark plug swap...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help: 2006 spark plug swap... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; As title states... I understand how to change plugs in a 2002-2005, but the 2006-2007 seem quite different, as far ...

Help: 2006 spark plug swap...

As title states...
    I understand how to change plugs in a 2002-2005, but the 2006-2007 seem quite different, as far as the driver side goes.
    Anyone who has changed plugs on an 06-07, any help would be greatly appreciated. It seems that there is this goofy looking contraption where the washer bottle used to be. What is it, and how do you remove it?
    Any pics would be awesome...
    Again, any help or a basic write up would be awesome.

I am quite handy with tools(did my own FMIC setup on my old GST, custom pipes etc...also made my own o2 housing WG dump tube) so as long as I have a few pics or a decent write up, I will be fine.

Jon
    2006 OBP STI
    WANTING STI trunk/lid for my WRX trunk and lid!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone...
    2006 OBP STI
    WANTING STI trunk/lid for my WRX trunk and lid!!!

As title states...
    I understand how to change plugs in a 2002-2005, but the 2006-2007 seem quite different, as far as the driver side goes.
    Anyone who has changed plugs on an 06-07, any help would be greatly appreciated. It seems that there is this goofy looking contraption where the washer bottle used to be. What is it, and how do you remove it?
    Any pics would be awesome...
    Again, any help or a basic write up would be awesome.

I am quite handy with tools(did my own FMIC setup on my old GST, custom pipes etc...also made my own o2 housing WG dump tube) so as long as I have a few pics or a decent write up, I will be fine.

Jon
    2006 WRX TR owner here...

The weird contraption is the air pump. Sorry I can't post links, (post count is less than 3) but it's held on by 2 bolts and 1 phillips screw. You might need to take off the fuse box cover to get to it (the phillips screw). Also a hose and a sensor needs to be disconnected as well. The two bolts are obvious (facing you when opening the hood; front-facing, top and bottom)

I changed 3 out of 4 spark plugs and I'm still having issues with taking out the one on the drivers side (closest to the air pump). I managed to fit my hands back there (with the air pump still on), but the body frame gets in the way of pulling out the plug. I'm still trying to find a way to get this plug out. It's almost like my engine tilted a little towards the driver side. (I'm not aggressive with my car either).

Any update on how to get to that plug? Im right at that point but cant it the coil out because of the frame rail.

keith

I changed my plugs in my car about 2 months ago and it wasn't to difficult if you use your spark plug socket mated with a short extension and just a rachet, get the socket and extension in on the plug first then hook the rachet up. This took me a total of about 35-40 minutes, hope it helps a little for you!

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The coil rubber is somewhat maliable so you can bend it a bit until it comes out smooth, doesn't have to be a straight off pull. As for the sockets, use a 6 inch wobbly extension and a wobbly joint before the ratchet so you can angle it any way you need to to get it in.

Any update on how to get to that plug? Im right at that point but cant it the coil out because of the frame rail.

keith
    Unfortunately, I ended up taking it to the dealer since I needed to get my A/C checked out (a month after). I informed the mechanic which spark plug he needed to replace but didn't have a chance to ask him how he pulled it out. I'm thinking Anub1s may have answered the question of how (below).

I'll be changing out my plugs soon (a week or so), and will try to keep you posted.

The coil rubber is somewhat maliable so you can bend it a bit until it comes out smooth, doesn't have to be a straight off pull. As for the sockets, use a 6 inch wobbly extension and a wobbly joint before the ratchet so you can angle it any way you need to to get it in.
    Thanks for your advice on this. I was trying to pull the coil at different angles without bending it (at all) since I was worried about alignment of the spark plug inside. I'll have to try this when I get a chance to change them out again.

*Update*

So I finally had a chance to change my Spark Plugs and was able to get the one closest to the air pump thingy. Anub1s was right. I was a little too cautious about bending the coil rubber when taking it out thinking I might break something, but it is bendable. It didn't require me to pull out the air pump either.

The other coil pack was in the way, but I was able to unplug that coil (carefully) to make some more room in there. With an extension and the socket (w/o the ratchet), I would try to get a grip on the spark plug manually by hand. After I found the grip on the spark plug, I then connected the ratchet in there to slightly loosen the spark plug. Since I didn't have a small ratchet, I couldn't really maneuver the big ratchet to turn more than 2 inches (would've taken me awhile) but all it requires is a slight loosening up then you can pull the ratchet out and unscrew the plug by hand with the socket+extension attached to the plug.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by yuknow; 01-05-2010 at 07:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.