03 WRX boost gauge help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 03 WRX boost gauge help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i currently bought a 2003 WRX and before i bought it i noticed it didnt have a boost gauge which ...

03 WRX boost gauge help

i currently bought a 2003 WRX and before i bought it i noticed it didnt have a boost gauge which i know isnt to big of a deal as i was probably going to buy an aftermarket one anyway, however i would like to know what kind of boost gauge is recommended and how the boost works, how do you turn your psi up or down? and what is the suggested psi that a wrx should be running at? please help because i am new to having a turbo and would like to learn a few things about it. Thank You

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well first, the engine is being fed air under pressure. When the compressed air(boost) reaches the intake manifold it also charges the hoses on the intake manifold. This is where you want to take your boost measurement. Be sure to test the hose your going to use by unplugging it while the engine is running, it should suck air at idle, but not when revving the engine. This is called full manifold vacuum, which draws vacuum at idle, where Ported vacuum draws vacuum when the engine speed increases. One way Check valves are used to keep boost from damaging parts that only work on vacuum, splice before the check valve.
    >>>
    >>>
    Boost gauges only monitor the boost level, If you want to control it look into a "Boost Controller"

alrite thanks, i think i have a basic idea of how it works, if i cant figure it out ill just get it installed by someone, and do u have any idea of what a 2003 wrx should boost at? bc im also looking into the boost controller, thanks for the help tho
    Last edited by ggogl; 05-20-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Dont mess around with a boost controller, your car will have nothing but problems if you start messing with the boost system. Do some research on this. If you want more power get an UpPipe, and a downpipe and find a form of engine management, such as a Cobb AP. This would be Stage 2

Stock PSI should be 13.5 PSI

You can use a boost control on the older years like yours, but you really need to have a proper tune, generally they are not used on these cars.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Cobb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.