misfire again
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on misfire again within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i keep getting a 2 and 4 misfire at random. it will come on at any time. high rpm, low, ...

misfire again

i keep getting a 2 and 4 misfire at random. it will come on at any time. high rpm, low, in the middle of shifts, or at an idle. it will turn off after 10 key cycles and sometimes stay off for a few days to a week. or a few minutes. my plugs are fairly new, coilpacks are alright, same with compression. i dont think it would be my injectors, cause if it was wouldnt it be a steady misfire? possible fuel pressure regulator? my fp sits at about 42.5 at an idle which is a bit high or pump? im stuck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You don't really give any information to go on. Is there a CEL? Did you pull the code? What year is your car and what mods does it have?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You don't really give any information to go on. Is there a CEL? Did you pull the code? What year is your car and what mods does it have?
    i dont mean to be an ass but i wouldnt know it was cylinder 2 and 4 with out a cel... p0302 and p0304. 02' wagon, sti top mount, pink injectors, invidia? cated dp, some **** ass header that im about to get rid of, unsure of up pipe(havent touched it, could be stock could be not) and im assuming walbro pump.

im going to see if have have a vac/boost tomarrow if i have time.

i only hit about 12psi yesterday and with the tune i just got it should be about 18-20. not only that built up reeealllllly slow.

My guess is either the header or its dumping lots of fuel. Where did you purchase the header?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo9k View Post
    My guess is either the header or its dumping lots of fuel. Where did you purchase the header?
    i didnt it was on the car so i dont know **** about it. how would the header cause a misfire? a leak and lack of back pressure?

the cel went off about 8am yesterday when i started my car and after lots of driving its still off.

anyone ever done a pressure/boost leak test?

hmmm, I would test for boost leaks, get a end cap to a pvc pipe that is small enough to clamp your turbo hose, then take the end off an air tool, grinder or impact gun will work. Drill a hole and fasten the air fitting to it, jb weld is awesome. Now all you have to do is put it in place of the turbo and charge it with air,Tada! you will get some leak down due to the piston rings and an open valve or two. if you have any leak you will be able to hear it pretty well.
    Last edited by Turbo9k; 05-21-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Spelling!

ODJ
    Stock or after-market crank pulley?
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo9k View Post
    hmmm, I would test for boost leaks, get a end cap to a pvc pipe that is small enough to clamp your turbo hose, then take the end off an air tool, grinder or impact gun will work. Drill a hole and fasten the air fitting to it, jb weld is awesome. Now all you have to do is put it in place of the turbo and charge it with air,Tada! you will get some leak down due to the piston rings and an open valve or two. if you have any leak you will be able to hear it pretty well.
    how big of a cap is it about 2"? and what kind of pressure? though im sure with any decent amount i would hear a leak. i read on p&ls web site to plug off the evaporating purge lines.... is that a must? and if its where the deuce are they?

Quote Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
    Stock or after-market crank pulley?
    stock.

im waiting to change my timing belt in the near future to replace it.

i had a MASSIVE boost leak.

my car is now pulling hard, hitting boost. we will see if that cel comes back on. i hope not.

...nice

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.