check engine problems

This is a discussion on check engine problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well my checknegine light came on and my speedo stopped working. I have a cobb port so i'm able to ...

check engine problems

Well my checknegine light came on and my speedo stopped working. I have a cobb port so i'm able to reset the ecu and clear the code but the speedo is still on the fritz and he check engine light comes back on shortly after. It also seems that the rev. limiter is set to 4 1/2 grand while the check engine light is on. Is that normal, i'm guessing its just a saftey. Any help would be great on how to fix this thing....oh yeh, its an 05 wrx wagon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What code keeps coming up?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

It acually says that there is no code found but when i reset the ecu it clears the check engine light. I reset the ecu in hopes that it would fix some sort of phantom electrical problem. I'm kinda clueless when it comes to this kind of thing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Check main harness clips behind cluster in dash.

Check vehicle speed sensor and electric clip on topside of gearbox near motor pitch stop brace and lower firewall.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Check main harness clips behind cluster in dash.

Check vehicle speed sensor and electric clip on topside of gearbox near motor pitch stop brace and lower firewall.
    I checked the main harness behind the cluster and that all seems fine. I would check that other stuff, but i'm an idiot and don't know where any of that stuff is????? Also is it normal for the rev limiter to lower itself to 4 1/2 grand while check engine light is on. And one las t question??? why is my cobb saying that there is no code? Any help with this stuff would be great. Like i said ....i'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

The first things you need to post when asking for any help with a car problem are your model/year, any mods, and when/why/how the problem started. Without those things, any help you're going to get is most likely inaccurate.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

If the vehicle's speed sensor is not properly sending a clear signal to the ECU, then yes...it will have a hard rev limit around 5k.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The first things you need to post when asking for any help with a car problem are your model/year, any mods, and when/why/how the problem started. Without those things, any help you're going to get is most likely inaccurate.
    Its an 05 WRX wagon. no mods. it happened about a month ago when i was just driving down the street. The speedo was working fine the then needle just dropped down to 0 and the check engine light came on shortly after. The car has about 37,000 miles.

have you done any maintenance or had anything serviced recently where wiring might have been touched/adjusted/moved/removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    have you done any maintenance or had anything serviced recently where wiring might have been touched/adjusted/moved/removed?
    Nothing i can think of. It was just kinda out of the blue.

speedodometer problems 05 wrx

I too am experiencing the same problem except that my RPMS are low. I had Subaru garage look at it and it thru the p503 and P0519 which is the ICV. I recently purchased this car only 1 month ago with 40k miles.Subaru is to order a new speed sensor and ICV . the funny thing is that the speedodometer does this mainly on hot days or when in traffic. It also seems to get a hesitation (jerking ) as well! Any help is appriciated. Other than these problems i love driving the car.

speedodometer problems 05 wrx

no mods stright stock. previous owner was a lady that probley liked the color. the only thinkg i did was run a bottle of lucas fuel treatment and put 93 octane in it.