Magnetic engine oil drain bolt

This is a discussion on Magnetic engine oil drain bolt within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone know where i can get a magnetic engine oil drain bolt? Also possible a magnetic tranny oil drain bolt. ...

Magnetic engine oil drain bolt

Anyone know where i can get a magnetic engine oil drain bolt? Also possible a magnetic tranny oil drain bolt. I have a 2008 WRX (manual)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The gearbox already has a magnetic drain bolt.

The oil sump bolt can be replaced with a magnetic unit readily, but I haven't bothered. They're usually available locally and you can certainly order them online or even from ebay. Make sure the thread and length match of course.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The gearbox already has a magnetic drain bolt.

The oil sump bolt can be replaced with a magnetic unit readily, but I haven't bothered. They're usually available locally and you can certainly order them online or even from ebay. Make sure the thread and length match of course.
    So no need to worry about the tranny bolt?

Ill have to check around for the engine oil bolt.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubieSubie View Post
    So no need to worry about the tranny bolt?
    Correct, at least on all the Subarus I've seen. I think there are actually photos of the sludge that accumulates on people's gearbox drain bolts on this forum; I know I've seen them.
    I bet the 08 is just like the other Imprezas, with a magnetic drain bolt. Have you looked under there -- the older cars had a 1/2" female bolt head, and newer cars needed a T70 torx bit instead. If yours is T70 you may need to shop ahead.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.