I Need Help Low Idle!!

This is a discussion on I Need Help Low Idle!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 03 wrx and my idle just droped to 500 to 1000 rpm.. That is very low and ...

I Need Help Low Idle!!

I have a 03 wrx and my idle just droped to 500 to 1000 rpm.. That is very low and i dont know how it happened. I beleive its a vacuum leak but not sure. When i turn the car on i can not hear a leak at all but when i put it in 1st gear or reverse either backing up from my garage or pulling in i hear SSSSSSSSSSSssss can anyone help please... thanks for reading
    If its a leak how can i find it.. I also have a very raw gas smell which i thnk might be my exhaust.. thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rudyalta View Post
    I have a 03 wrx and my idle just droped to 500 to 1000 rpm.. That is very low and i dont know how it happened. I beleive its a vacuum leak but not sure. When i turn the car on i can not hear a leak at all but when i put it in 1st gear or reverse either backing up from my garage or pulling in i hear SSSSSSSSSSSssss can anyone help please... thanks for reading
    If its a leak how can i find it.. I also have a very raw gas smell which i thnk might be my exhaust.. thanks guys
    SOUNDS like a vacuum hose fell off. check ur bov, all ur hoses going to and from the turbo/intake, have you put a cold air intake on it .
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

I do have an AEM aftermarket cold air intake, I t kind of sounds like when im driving and switch gears when the BOV goes off..
    Last edited by rudyalta; 05-15-2008 at 11:40 PM.

I do have an AEM aftermarket cold air intake
    did it idle funny before you put the cai on. i have a question for you does that intake have a california leagal sticker on it?
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Not sure

I just got the car 3 weeks ago with all this aftermarket mods and I just realized i need to spend good money on it to get it tuned and to make it run smoothly, I will check for sticker tomorrow.. Im just worried about the leak

I just got the car 3 weeks ago with all this aftermarket mods and I just realized i need to spend good money on it to get it tuned and to make it run smoothly, I will check for sticker tomorrow.. Im just worried about the leak
    usually the leak is no big deal just usually a bolt needs tightened..still have a top mount intercooler?

Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    usually the leak is no big deal just usually a bolt needs tightened..still have a top mount intercooler?

yes I do have an aftermarket top mount!!

mine did something very similar
    what happened with mine is the main tube for teh intercooler came off. I tightened it down and it stopped.

You could try that...

(it's the only large tube you can see of the intercooler, the one in the very front and bottom)
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991
    I still don't know how I got this car...

Where is the tube hose lacated??

left of the BOV
    Connects to the red manifold on the STi
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112_0802_40z+2008_subaru_impreza_WRX_STi+engine_bay_view.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	78464
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991

Wow that is a very clean engine..

Wow that is a very clean engine.. So where Can I find mine? Check out my engine. A little dirty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrx engine.bmp  

left of your bov
    connects to metal manifold
    just right under your stencil
    about 6 inches south
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991

so I took the intercooler off and put it back in and I still hear the pssssssss sound only when I put in gear and act like I'm going to accelerate!! I know the sound is coming from right handside under intercooler any bright ideas Its driving me nuts.. Anyone please i beed help! is the sound normal with cars that have bov?