2004 WRX, 43K Miles, Knocking

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX, 43K Miles, Knocking within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everybody, I bought my wagon a few months back, 41K, runs great. No problems until today. I got in ...

2004 WRX, 43K Miles, Knocking

Hey everybody,

I bought my wagon a few months back, 41K, runs great. No problems until today. I got in my car, turned it over and then heard a loud knocking, right on time with engine RPM. Loud knock at first, then settled into a loud tapping.

I turned it off and then back on again and tapping resumed. I hopped into my girlfriends jeep and ran my errands.

I haven't had any problems with it and it ran great until I turned it over. Now, I know that it's a bit difficult to diagnose a car in a forum(!), so I'm just looking for ideas. I don't work on cars and I plan to take it in to get looked at, but I'm wondering if I should get it towed in or if it's safe to drive. Again, I'm not looking for a definitive answer, but maybe a most likely scenario.

Thanks for the insight!
    Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Never have it towed. Check the owner's manual for the correct procedure; in short, use a flatbed, not a tow truck.

Since it has less than 60K mi and it's not yet 5 years old, the manufacturer's drivetrain warranty may apply (depending on the nature of the failure).

Is there oil in the motor?

If in doubt about safety, have it flatbedded.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

*Loud* knocking/tapping is never, ever a good thing. Most of the potential causes that spring immediately to mind (rod knock, lifter noise due to lack of oil pressure) are not good either.

Make sure the oil level is full. If not, top it off and run it just long enough to confirm that the noise is still there. Don't rev the engine. If it is, which I expect it will be, have the car flatbedded.
    '07 WRX STI Limited- Satin White Pearl, #401/800
    '87 Mercedes 300D Turbodiesel

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't drive it to the shop. Have it hauled on a flatbed.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE